Options

Old dog trying to learn some new tricks.

nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a question to ask all of you and I hope you can help. This might be lengthy but bear with me. When I first started my career I worked for a computer repair company that specialized in point of sale machines. I then moved on to a software company as a customer support rep and moved to the top of the ladder there after two years. I had originally wanted to become a network administrator so at the time I set up a lab at home and purchased all of the MCSE books and managed to get certifed but this was back in '99 / 2000 for Windows NT. I also managed to get my CNA as well, Novell Admin yikes! I know it's been a while, LOL. I worked for a year at a company in their IT department doing the normal entry level stuff, for Windows and UNIX machines. I was on a contract basis and after 1 year they had to let me go because the company closed its office here. I then chose a different path and ended up working for myself from home for the last 11 years for two different companies, the latest one I am not sure is going to last and I want to get back into the Networking field.

After looking all of the 'real' jobs out there it appears they all say that CCNA and A+ is an asset. So my question is this. Is it possible to get my CCNA and A+ from home by purchasing the books and studying my ass off? I currently have 3 computers and two printers networked here so I think I have the resources to learn and try things. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you can recommend some books to study with that would be awesome as well. I would have a minimum of 5+ hours a day to dedicate to study. Being 36 and having to re-enter the job market scares the hell out me but I'm willing to give it a go.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Calling yourself an old dog and only 36 ?
    (I'm doing a double degree + working towards ccna + chinese and working at 39)

Yes can pass them with self study and thats what I'm doing.

See the faq for books http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/6434-ccna-faq-please-read-before-posting.html
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Damn, I feel like a grandpa being 45...

You can certainly earn any of these certs just doing the work at home. I've earned my MCSE, MCITP:EA and EDA7, Sec+ and Net+ along with PMP all while working on it mostly at home. Only the PMP really required any work experience.

I'm currently also working on my CCNA and I will be doing all of the book and lab work at home. I have access to a couple of pieces of equipment at work, but this will mostly be home work for the CCNA. If I go on with the CCNP I will probably use some work equipment for that exam.

It also helps that with my current job I pretty much work at home full time. So I can squeeze in studying and lab time during the day during my 'breaks'.

Definitely use this forum for any questions. I have found both the Microsoft and Cisco forums to be a HUGE help with all of my studying.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I don't feel so nervous now. :) I will get started ASAP and be sure to check these forums often.

Cheers. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL, stop! You're scaring me! I'll be turning 30 soon... icon_lol.gif

Seriously, you're never to old to learn.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seriously, you're never to old to learn.

Exactly. I'll be 40 this year and I'm just getting started in my IT journey.icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to scare anyone!! It is is kind of funny though how it has all come full circle for me. I remember being 25 and just getting my MCSE for Windows NT and being super excited only to find that there wasn't many job opportunities in my area for entry level type positions. 11 years later I find that there are a ton of jobs out there now but I don't have the certification :)

One last question, on average how long of study will it take me to obtain the CCNA? There is a course at our local University being offered that boasts 60 hours of training. I'm sure they have a lab set up with all of the necessary equipment. They charge something like 2500$ for the course so obviously I'm going to try and do this from home first, maybe even purchase some used equipment if I can find it and set up my own mini lab.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    You should be able to setup a fairly decent lab for around $300-$400. I was able to get 2 2620XM routers and 2 2950 switches for under $300 off of Ebay and this seems to be a fairly decent setup for the CCNA - and I think it's a decent start for CCNP (if I get there). If you then add in the $250 for the test and say $100 for books and study materials you should be ready to go. This is much cheaper than taking the $2500 class.

I'd only recommend the $2500 type classes if your job will pay for those.

As for the time it takes, I hate to give a typical IT answer but IT DEPENDS. If you can get a lot of alone time to study and lab I would think that you could be ready to take the exam with 120-160 hours of study and lab time - but it all depends on the person. Based on what I have seen so far in my studying I should be able to take the test after about 150 hours of prep. My biggest issue is having a wife and 2 kids who do not understand what it means when I am trying to study - but that is an issue for another day.

My advice would be to setup a small lab and buy the Odom and Lammle books and you should be ready to go. Ebay has a ton of used equipment out there and I bought all my stuff by Best Offer purchases and also got free shipping.
  • Options
    MikeinPAMikeinPA Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LOL, I thought you were going to say you were in your late 50's. I'm 37, and just passed my A+ essentials test yesterday! I'm basically in the same position as you, moving into a completely new career field after the wholesale industry collapsed.

Yes, you can do it!
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    If you really want to build a lab for the CCNA then I would go with GNS3. Save the money you would spend on routers and invest them in your switches (2950's/3550's) :)

All you need to run GNS3 is a computer with a dual core processer and 2 gigs of RAM at the minimum and you should be able to get atleast 4-5 routers up and running with no problems. I have been running GNS3 for over 2 years for my CCIE R&S lab and have had no problems.

GNS3 gives you the power of connecting real Cisco Switches to "Virtual" routers inside of the GNS3 program. You can view a video on how to do this from the link below:

‪CONNECTING_REAL_SWITCHES_TO_GNS3 PART 1‬‏ - YouTube

If you need any more assistance, feel free to PM me.

Thanks and have a great day
  • Options
    MikeinPA wrote: »
    LOL, I thought you were going to say you were in your late 50's. I'm 37, and just passed my A+ essentials test yesterday! I'm basically in the same position as you, moving into a completely new career field after the wholesale industry collapsed.

Yes, you can do it!

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I basically dedicated all of my time to two companies so I could work from home and hopefully sustain some flexibility and a career. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that is going to work out so back into networking I go. I enjoyed it when I was younger but was frustrated by the lack of job opportunities. Looks like that has changed quite a bit now.
  • Options
    If you really want to build a lab for the CCNA then I would go with GNS3. Save the money you would spend on routers and invest them in your switches (2950's/3550's) :)

All you need to run GNS3 is a computer with a dual core processer and 2 gigs of RAM at the minimum and you should be able to get atleast 4-5 routers up and running with no problems. I have been running GNS3 for over 2 years for my CCIE R&S lab and have had no problems.

GNS3 gives you the power of connecting real Cisco Switches to "Virtual" routers inside of the GNS3 program. You can view a video on how to do this from the link below:

‪CONNECTING_REAL_SWITCHES_TO_GNS3 PART 1‬‏ - YouTube

If you need any more assistance, feel free to PM me.

Thanks and have a great day

Thanks Steve.. I'll definitely have a look.

Cheers.