Options

Will a vcp open any doors to someone with no exp?

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just wondering would i be wasting my time and money doing the vcp course if i dont have any experience,could it open any doors for me? I would ideally like to travel with this cert.

Comments

• Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    I'm curious about this as well. From all the information I've gathered so far, you need to have server/networking experience before they let you play around with this.

:D
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Clarify no experience. In general or just VMware? So do you have any IT experience and if so what? Certifying in things you don't do but want to break into, I've found only works if you can back it up with previous experiences that round you out. VCP isn't going to take you from zero to hero but it might help open a door to a junior admin if you have some other background experience.
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    Clarify no experience. In general or just VMware? So do you have any IT experience and if so what? Certifying in things you don't do but want to break into, I've found only works if you can back it up with previous experiences that round you out. VCP isn't going to take you from zero to hero but it might help open a door to a junior admin if you have some other background experience.

Ok so my backround,degree in networks and currently working in support for last two years.
    Also have the ccna completed. I have never even opened vsphere server/client so thats where i stand with that. But if i thought i could break into it well then maybe it could be worth my while!
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    eddo1 wrote: »
    Just wondering would i be wasting my time and money doing the vcp course if i dont have any experience,could it open any doors for me? I would ideally like to travel with this cert.

The cost of the class has kept me from going after the cert. I've had positive results by listing ESXi on my resume. I run it at home. It was good enough foundation for me to begin working on our Vsphere enviroment at work.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The VCP will open a ton of doors.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Ok so my backround,degree in networks and currently working in support for last two years.
    Also have the ccna completed. I have never even opened vsphere server/client so thats where i stand with that. But if i thought i could break into it well then maybe it could be worth my while!

Go for it then.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    The cost of the class has kept me from going after the cert. I've had positive results by listing ESXi on my resume.

Please explain, im curious about this part. Did you ever get hired to work on ESXi server? Or they just call to ask questions?
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Learning VMware is not a waste of time, but a very timely and important step you can take at this point. Taking the expensive VCP course OTOH is a waste of money IMO. VCP cert with zero production experience is unlikely to open many more doors than some home lab experience would. Don't be fooled by those promises of VCP title bringing $$$ - it's not the title but the assumed experience it typically indicates that has value to employers.

I just finished the course and am in preparation for the exam. The course was definitely good, but incomparable in depth with thousands of pages of free whitepapers available on vmware.com - I'm buried in that wealth of information right now and can say the ICM course only scratched the surface of the subject...

So in your shoes I would not worry about VCP for now, and instead focus on building a home lab and getting some practice with it, concurrently trying to land a junior sysadmin position. Only then, after having some exposure to VMware in work environment, it would make sense to consider VCP.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    Please explain, im curious about this part. Did you ever get hired to work on ESXi server? Or they just call to ask questions?

No, most calls are for system admin roles. Several places are running ESX and see I have worked with it at home as well as one of my previous jobs. We used ESXi in our QA lab.

It should I was familiar with the technology even if I had not worked with Vsphere yet. My current job run Vsphere and I am being used to work with it more and more.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action