Advice

Moki99Moki99 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, I was wondering if I can get advice on the next steps I should take to further my career. I have a AS in Computer Network systems and Comptia A+, MCTS: Active Directory certification. I am also actively studying for the CCENT/CCNA. I am currently working as an assistant IT analyst doing mostly helpdesk type of work(sometimes server) with only 6 months of experience under my belt.

I am also looking into the Linux+, JunOS certs, CCNP, VMware/Citrix certs and of course finishing the enterprise MCITP but I'm really scared to just load up on certifications without practical experience other than home labs to back them up. What else can I do to make myself more employable and to further prepare myself for a career as an IT professional. I am mostly interested in jobs like Sys/network administration but who knows what I'll end up with.

I was thinking maybe work this job I have now for at least another 6 months or so meanwhile work on getting those certs I listed above. Then start applying for junior sys/network admin positions. Does that sound reasonable or am I missing something?

ANY advice is appreciated!

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are starting from a solid base and you have already worked up a good plan.

Experience is really key. Certs without experience to back them up loose half of their value. From my experience it's good to stay with a job for about 2 years and then move on when opportunity knocks on your door.

In the meantime you should work on the certs that interest you most. Don't think too much about what your next job might be. Just expand your knowledge, get the experience and the opportunities will come to you. Best of luck!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Moki99Moki99 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, Thanks for the response.
  • KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree I have been in the industry for a number of years do what you really like in the tech world and you will enjoy it more.
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680