Remote management of switch clarity

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
I came across this question:
You need to configure a Catalyst switch so it can be managed remotely. Which of the following
would you use to accomplish this task?
A. Switch(configs)#int fa0/1
B. Switch(configs-if)#ip address 192.168.10.252 255.255.255.0
C. Switch(configs-if)#no shut
D. Switch(configs-if)#ip gateway 192.168.10.254 255.255.255.0
E. Switch(configs)#ip default-gateway 192.168.10.254
F. Switch(configs-if)#no shut
G. Switch(configs)#ip default-network 192.168.10.254

...and the answer given was C.

I chose B and E (not realizing it didn't ask for 2 answers). My thought was, you need to treat the switch kind of like it is a host where you assign it an address and default gateway.

My questions are:
1) Is the answer they give blatantly wrong? (I mean, it's there twice, after all!)
2) Were my answers right (given what answers were available)? (both together)
3) Can you only assign a switch an IP address (and default gateway, if true) using a VLAN interface? Can you assign a Fa0/x port an IP address? If so, what would that be for since switches use their FA ports for MAC address work (L2)?

Comments

• andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    JohnnyBiggles answer E is the right one because for a switch to be managed remotely ,you need to configure its default gateway ,that is the interface it uses to communicate out of its network.
  • JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its a horrible question but if the vlan isnt "on", you cannot manage it remotely. I agree it was written horribly but I guess I understand his line of thought...
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My questions are:
    1) Is the answer they give blatantly wrong? (I mean, it's there twice, after all!)
    2) Were my answers right (given what answers were available)? (both together)
    3) Can you only assign a switch an IP address (and default gateway, if true) using a VLAN interface? Can you assign a Fa0/x port an IP address? If so, what would that be for since switches use their FA ports for MAC address work (L2)?

1)What book are you reading? I would say that this HAS to be a typo.
    2) & 3)I also would have selected the same two answers. And I'm stumped as to why the no shut command would have to be issued for a virtual interface. Also; the only way to assign an IP to a switch is via the interface vlan command mode. Individual ports cannot be assigned addresses; they need to be assigned to a VLAN then the end device connected must either have DCHP or a manually configured IP address.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    That's an aweful question.

If I had to pick one answer, it should be "ip default-gateway...."

This should really be a "pick all that apply", though.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    That is a horrible question - I'd have gone for B and E as well
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How can it be C but not F when C and F are the same answer? I agree, this is a horribly worded question if this is the question verbatim. Which interface would that "no shut" be entered under? FA0/1? LO1? VLAN1000?

Where did this come from?
  • JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    Lammle's CCENT eBook. It's not the first typo/mistake I've come across