CCNA use percentage

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
For those of you who have had you CCNA for 6 months to a year, I would like to know how much of the material do you use on a daily bases. I have never ever seen frame relay in production. I have only done natting twice. I have used ACLs a decent amount as well as ipsec tunnels (CCNA:S). How about the rest of you, how much do you use it and are you working in a "networking" role?

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't say I create or work with any single CCNA level topic on a daily or even weekly basis. Taken together, I have to know one topic or another in regards to troubleshooting or implementing new services on an almost daily basis. Can't get more specific than that.

Once the VoIP deployment starts, that may change. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    This about sums it up

verifying routes - 1%
    subnetting - 1%
    Other wtf items - 8%
    basic commands - 10%
    configuration of switches - 30%
    CCNP level stuff - 50%
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    This about sums it up
    ...CCNP level stuff - 50%

Care to elaborate on this a bit for someone working on CCNA?
    Sure, I mainly handle configuring and troubleshooting GRE tunnels, BGP, EIGRP, QoS, Port Security, path selection, Nexus 7000 port assignments, various ASA configurations, ACS setup and replication, site design and implementation, some voice work (mainly assisting our voip guy), AP configurations, product research and ordering and probably other items I can't think of at this time. icon_cool.gif
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bump

Mods if you would move this to off topic that would be great since it isn't really a CCNA question more of a post CCNA question.

I can't remember that last time I had to subnet.
    I can't remember that last time I had to subnet.

If it wasn't for the last 2 months worth of redesign I could say the same thing.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    subnetting - used this once, had to help a customer figure out what addresses they had based on their subnet mask and router IP.

frame relay - we use OSPF over frame relay on an antiquated provisioning system.

EIGRP - never use it

I use alot of show commands, tracking down what a device is for, why a port went down, what it is connected to, etc.

All in all I'd say I use 50% of what the CCNA covers and I do NO configuration at all.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Although I'm not working directly with Cisco gear at this time I'd say I still use almost all of the CCNA level stuff on a daily basis. I need to know the basics of IP addressing, basic routing, switching etc for anything I do.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Can't really say I've done any subnetting either...unless you consider splitting 10.0.0.0 to 10.1.x.x /24 subnetting :D

Every once in a while, I'll have to configure static NAT, but it's on the ASA so I don't know if that counts. Created a couple ACLs and upgraded IOS

Like ehnde, most of my daily efforts involve show commands and vlan assignments. I think a lot of CCNAs out there are not full time Cisco people. I manage the Cisco network, but a lot of my time is spent on things like Exchange, Hyper-V, AD, etc..
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I could use everything except maybe IPv6 on a daily basis depending on what kind of tickets come through. Honestly, over half the tickets that hit our queue are above CCNA level, and for right now I'm picking out the ones I can handle. All of our Network Engineers are lumped into one group and we grab the tickets we want to work from a common pool.

Almost every network term I've ever heard is in use in our infrastructure somewhere, lol. I can't tell you how many times a day I hit google, lol.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V