Options

Meet the ‘Keyzer Soze’ of Global Phone-Tracking - Wired.com

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Chances are you’ve never heard of TruePosition. If you’re an AT&T or T-Mobile customer, though, TruePosition may have heard of you. When you’re in danger, the company can tell the cops where you are, all without you knowing. And now, it’s starting to let governments around the world in on the search.

The Pennsylvania company, a holding of the Liberty Media giant that owns Sirius XM and the Atlanta Braves, provides location technology to those soon-to-be-merged carriers, so police, firefighters and medics can know where you’re at in an emergency. In the U.S., it locates over 60 million 911 calls annually. But very quietly, over the last four years, TruePosition has moved into the homeland security business — worldwide.

Around the world, TruePosition markets something it calls “location intelligence,” or LOCINT, to intelligence and law enforcement agencies. As a homeland security tool, it’s enticing. Imagine an “invisible barrier around sensitive sites like critical infrastructure,” such as oil refineries or power plants, TruePosition’s director of marketing, Brian Varano, tells Danger Room. The barrier contains a list of known phones belonging to people who work there, allowing them to pass freely through the covered radius. “If any phone enters that is not on the authorized list, [authorities] are immediately notified.”

Meet the ‘Keyzer Soze’ of Global Phone-Tracking | Danger Room | Wired.com

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad that there are such technologies out there to help us. icon_cheers.gif

I wont be one of those that says this is evil or stripping our freedoms, i dont live in fear and expecting the worse in life really sucks.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keyzer Soze use to be my facebook name (the usual suspects=GOAT).

This is pretty scary. I saw this on twitter yesterday:

Police Adopting iPhone-Based Facial-Recognition Device by BI2, Raising Civil-Rights Questions - WSJ.com

Police state here we come. We are well on our way to eagle eye and minority report.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keyzer Soze use to be my facebook name (the usual suspects=GOAT).

This is pretty scary. I saw this on twitter yesterday:

Police Adopting iPhone-Based Facial-Recognition Device by BI2, Raising Civil-Rights Questions - WSJ.com

Police state here we come. We are well on our way to eagle eye and minority report.

Eagle Eye is one of those movies where you can't decide whether it was great or terrible. I really like Minority Report.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Glad that there are such technologies out there to help us. icon_cheers.gif

I wont be one of those that says this is evil or stripping our freedoms, i dont live in fear and expecting the worse in life really sucks.
    +1.icon_thumright.gif

There is no 100% foolproof way to detect and deter every possible threat against us. I'm willing to give a little freedom for the sake of keeping my loved ones safe.

And considering the huge backlash caused by the phone-hacking scandal in the UK, I'm sure that there will be major legal discussion regarding how the global-tracking technology is being implemented here in the US.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.