Options

Job Interview tomorrow, any advice?

gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good evening everyone,

To make a long story short, I was blessed with a job interview tomorrow (did a quick phone interview on Monday). Posted below is a description i found online about the job (I was referred by consulant of my current company who also works at this company).

Im currently blessed to have a job just not in the IT area I want (I currrently do more software support then anything). I believe this might be the break into IT i was looking for. Based off of the description below, do you guys also think this has IT potential (meaning getting actual helpdesk, computer experience so I can work my way up to other positions like Sys Admin). I have been pretty good at interviews in the past (I can always improve), but do you guys have any tips/advice to offer. Any help is greatly apprecaited. Thanks!

IT SUPPORT TECHNICIAN

POSITION OVERVIEW The IT Support Technician manages the routing and resolution
of helpdesk work orders, including monitoring the helpdesk e-mail, completing work orders,
processing hardware and software requests, and maintaining the inventory of IT equipment.

SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:

Process, document and resolve inbound IT issues.
Follow best practices for processing ticket items, including analysis and troubleshooting, detailed
documentation and task escalation to appropriate internal resources as necessary.
Partner with Human Resources to properly set up and maintain work stations.
Software deployment, upgrades and patch management as needed. Ensure issues are handled with proper
priority and communication. Train employees when appropriate and as necessary.
Indentify global issues or areas of potential improvement, and communicate solutions and
improvement options to management.

QUALIFICATIONS:
● Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
● Experience with Windows XP and Windows 7 OS configuration and
troubleshooting.
Proficient in Microsoft Office configuration and troubleshooting, including Excel, Word and
Outlook.
● Must be highly organized and detail-oriented with strong written and verbal communication
skills.
● Ability to work independently and demonstrate strong critical thinking and problem
solving skills.
● Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
● Ability to multi-task in a high volume, fast paced work environment with very tight deadlines.
● Demonstrate and uphold all the core values of Power Design, which include integrity,
accountability, teamwork, innovation and growth.
● Non-smoker.

Comments

• Options
    DaPurpleRTDaPurpleRT Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like a great start to me, and you sound like you have a great attitude. Just be yourself and I think you'll have a great shot at it (pending qualifications).
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't know exactly how much experience you have as a techie but:

Do some research/study basic IT Help Desk duties.

- basic trouble shooting techniques
    - ghosting/re-imaging machines
    - joining devices to domain
    - MS Office Issues and Fixes (Especially Outlook/Excel)
    - Mapping printers and drives
    - Possibly look into Active Directory, I am sure there are some youtube videos.
    - Data backup, best way to keep customers happy is to keep their data safe.

Few good things to know...

Google RDP/MSTSC - ability to remote into user's laptop/desktop. (or equivalent... logmein, teamviewer, vnc etc.)

Releasing/Renewing IP, tracert, nslookup, ping basic CLI stuff...

Folder permissions...

LOL - Love that a requirement is a non smoker
    X
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    How was the interview?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Non smoker eh? My wife's hospital just implemented this. New employees cannot be smokers.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???