Options

Your opinion

GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
Hello everyone i am Eser 26 years old guy. I was working as an Aerospace Observation Operator (ATC) for 5 years and resigned from my job. Because I feel limited and unable to fulfill my potential in my past role, I decided to attend an international university, believing it will help me to create a better life for myself. It is my intention to get a bachelor's degree on Computer Science.(now at the third semester) It is, in other words, the perfect match for a young man like myself, who is determined to make something out of his life.

I have completed my first year and passed every class including Data Structures & Algorithms. I always make plans for the future and now willing to make a career as a Network & System Engineer. Related to this path now I am preparing for the CCNA. Everything goes actually very well right now.

My question is : Do you think it is late (maybe too late) to make a career as a computer scientist and already made a big mistake by resigning from being an ATC ? Of course you will probably say that, i have already made my decision however, i actually wonder about your opinions for being a Network Engineer after 26 (will be 28 after the graduation) is late for being really professional? Suggestions?

p.s. my native language is not English, sorry for the mistakes...

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's never to late to move onto something you are interested in and want to do. There may be external factors, such as job availability or requirements, but if you to do something, just go do it!
    I got into IT when I was 32 and there are others on this forum who are a lot older when they got into IT.
    Are their positions open that would interest you more, where your previous job was?

btw: your english is quite good. icon_wink.gif

Welcome to the forum
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Yeah I agree you are not to young. As long as you have passion,drive and the ability to learn your age should not come into question IMO.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Psoasman wrote: »
    It's never to late to move onto something you are interested in and want to do. There may be external factors, such as job availability or requirements, but if you to do something, just go do it!
    I got into IT when I was 32 and there are others on this forum who are a lot older when they got into IT.
    Are their positions open that would interest you more, where your previous job was?

btw: your english is quite good. icon_wink.gif

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes I am in need of to hear such like words. Maybe because my classmates are too young :):)

I am from Turkey but a student at Poland now. Wroclaw University of Technology(Politechnika). Poland's best technical university however the World Rank is 430.

I have some more questions actually. I got introduction to programming class(C) and Data Structures and Algorithms(I made all the assignments in JAVA) previous year. This semester we will have OO programming and also network class will be available at the 4th semester. Our university gives us an opportunity to get Cisco CCNA classes for free, but on the other hand My plan is to get this certificate this summer( in 3 months). So I am studying it by myself. My questions is, As a network engineer, do i have to know programming such like Socket programming and so on or big companies are hiring different people for both physical and software side of a network. ?

Btw, I know the basic principles of Socket programming but should I go and learn for it more?

p.s. I googled but all the answers seems like from the people who are just sharing the ideas, not the reality...

My question basis on companies expectation...

p.s.2 I hope didn't ask an unlogical question icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Larger companies will generally have a larger IT staff and have people for specific roles. Getting your CCNA will definitely give you a solid foundation for networking. As far as the specifics of programming,etc, you'd have to ask some of the Cisco guys on this site.