Options

Help with saving the login local/privilege level 15 commands

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am stumped on setting up usernames and passwords with privilege level 15.Well i know how to do it but its getting the switch to retain the information. I am using packet tracer. I cannot afford a proper lab unfortunately as I am out of work.

I go into line console 0 and enable the ~”login local” command.
I then exit back into configure terminal mode (#)
Then I type “username Alan privilege 15 password mouse” hit enter.
I totally log out of the console port and log back in and asks me for my username and password and once I’ve successfully authenticated it takes me into privilege mode instead of user exec mode. Great i think!! I make up a few more usernames and passwords and ensure they are also privilege level 15. I save the config file and the actual packet tracer file.

However when i exit the packet tracer program and reload it again. Going into the console port it asks me for my username and password. But then it takes me into user exec mode and not privilege mode, as per what happened before.
What is going wrong here? Please help. This has had me confused for a few days now.
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    capitanuionutcapitanuionut Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    I am stumped on setting up usernames and passwords with privilege level 15.Well i know how to do it but its getting the switch to retain the information. I am using packet tracer. I cannot afford a proper lab unfortunately as I am out of work.

I go into line console 0 and enable the ~”login local” command.
    I then exit back into configure terminal mode (#)
    Then I type “username Alan privilege 15 password mouse” hit enter.
    I totally log out of the console port and log back in and asks me for my username and password and once I’ve successfully authenticated it takes me into privilege mode instead of user exec mode. Great i think!! I make up a few more usernames and passwords and ensure they are also privilege level 15. I save the config file and the actual packet tracer file.

However when i exit the packet tracer program and reload it again. Going into the console port it asks me for my username and password. But then it takes me into user exec mode and not privilege mode, as per what happened before.
    What is going wrong here? Please help. This has had me confused for a few days now.

I think if this happens after you close packet tracer and open it again it's a packet tracer bug...
    try with GNS3 or other simulator with the same config..
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i dont know which version u r using but i done it

it takes into privilage exec mode

my version 5.3.0.0088

make sure u done "wr" command and
    when closing packet tracer u should press "yes" in the dialog box though saved from file menu