Options

Leave on bad terms?

I've been having a lot of job interviews lately and I might be secure a full time job offer elsewhere. If I resign while some colleagues are on vacation, does it mean i'm leaving on bad terms? assuming the dept needs ppl. what if the boss ask me to stay and i say no? (assuming i give in my 2 weeks of notice).

Comments

• Options
    MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As long as you give two weeks notice I don't really see the problem.

If they have multiple people on vacations longer than 2 weeks and/or are so understaffed that they can't deal with one person leaving, that's HR's fault for not hiring enough people, not yours.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Actually, I would say it's the manager's fault for approving those vacations if there's not enough people to handle the work.

If I were you, I'd at least try to get the new company to delay the start date until after people come back for vacation (assuming it's only 2 weeks). If they say no, then that's fine, but at least I tried.

Also, be sure not to get ahead of yourself. Don't resign if you haven't secure that position yet.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Work is at will. That works both ways. Notice is a curteousy. Unless you plan to work there again, anything above and beyond notice is charity on your part for them.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Give your 2 weeks. If they ask you to work something out and you are feeling generous (and able to) then go for it. If not, apologize and move on. There can be some real a-holes out there, but most people understand that you need to do what is best for you.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, give your notice and be done with it. It could go either way, they could ask you to stay a bit longer or they could walk you out the door right then. I had the latter happen once, I tried to be professional about it, unfortunately they weren't.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in this kind of situation early last year with the exception that it wasn't that there was a lack of people on staff neccessarily but a lack of people on staff who could perform the neccessary duties.

This was right before I decided I was going to take my hobby and turn it into a career and I was working for a major entertainment retail chain. The assistant manager had been fired and I had taken over the roles and responsibilities of that person (with no formal promotion or raise), basically the time came when I found something closer to home so I could take time to study for my first few IT certifications and I decided to take it... but I struggled over whether I'd do that or not for over two months. I knew the store would be crippled if I left, but I wasn't growing there and had already been denied a promotion that should have been mine just based on the statement that the District Manager felt our store didn't need an assistant manager by title... but there was still those duties.

So essentially I left for greener pastures (the best decision I've ever made in my life btw as I now make more than 3 times as much as I did then) and it left the manager in quite a bind having to make up hours that I was leaving on her own, so she essentially began working 55 to 60 hour weeks.

Basically... point being, you're going to feel sorry, but even that manager didn't fault me for wanting to better myself. She understood that she and the rest of the organization had ample time to try and bring someone else up to my level but they didn't. It was a problem with lack of training on their part, I tried to teach as much as I could over the last month I was there, but everyone else there was working there as just a part-time means to pay bills, they didn't want those responsibilities. The assistant manager was fired October 2009, I quit April of 2010, I'd say that was more than enough time to try and make up for some lack of space rather than just rely on me.

But I'm with some other guys here, if your manager is stupid enough to ok multiple vacations that go more than 2 weeks at a time then this really is something that they should have seen coming. If you have another job lined up and it's something you'd really like to do, you can't risk throwing it away because you know it'll make life harder on those at your old job. There's always that chance that you may not get that opportunity again.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im on the same boat as you are. I found a new position and gave my 2 weeks today. My boss is in the middle of setting up a new client.

You are going to feel kinda bad but remember its about you. My boss understood that I had to do what I had to do to better myself. Not to say other bosses will have the same understanding(ive heard stories) but at the end of the day, its about you. Dont feel bad about it man, remember your doing them a bit of a favor by taking your paycheck off the books. Thats more money that can be invested either in a new(possibly cheaper) hire or somewhere in the company.