Options

Still not sure

djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I apologize if this is a redundant question, but I'm still not sure what's the best route to take. Does it all depend on experience, time, and money? What if these weren't considered?

2 tests (ICND1 & 2)

or

Composite test (640-802)

Comments

• Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I'd say it depends on how comfortable you are with cisco. If you've doing it for year, you'd probably be able to go for the composite. If you're just starting out, I think the 2 exam is the better route as it's more focused. For example, ICND1 doesn't really cover WAN or ACL, so you don't have to study for those until you pass it. f you take the composite exam, you need to study for everything.
  • Options
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I'd say it depends on how comfortable you are with cisco. If you've doing it for year, you'd probably be able to go for the composite. If you're just starting out, I think the 2 exam is the better route as it's more focused. For example, ICND1 doesn't really cover WAN or ACL, so you don't have to study for those until you pass it. f you take the composite exam, you need to study for everything.

Thanks but the toss up with that is, I'm guessing with the composite test I'm susceptible to getting the easier ICND1 questions allowing the overall test not to be so advanced.

Does that make sense?
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I suppose that's possible as the questions come from a pool. However, I don't think it's a good idea to take the composite exam if that's your reasoning.

When you pass the CCNA, or any exam, people expect you to have a certain amount of knowledge as it relates to the technology. If you go take the CCNA and pass because you get a bunch of questions on ICND1, you're going to run into problems in the real world that you won't know how to deal with. I guess what I'm saying is that when you pass an exam, it should be because you know your stuff, not because you got lucky.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    I believe the general consensus is that the two test route is better for most people. Which path you choose is definitely not predicated by cost (it costs the same to take the composite as it does to take the ICND1/ICND2). It really probably isn't predicated by time either; I would imagine that it takes around the same amount of time to study for either, as the material is the same. If anything, it may take you slightly less time to study for the two test route, because ICND1 can be knocked out relatively easily, depending on your experience level.

I would have to agree with pham that it is unwise to take the one test route if your reasoning is that it will be easier. There are multiple problems:

1. Say you studied for ICND1 and passed on your first try. Now you study for ICND2 and fail on your first try, then retake it and pass on your second try. Total cost = $375. Now say you took the composite exam, you got a bank of questions skewed toward ICND2 topics, and failed. Even if you retake and pass on the next try, you now have a total cost of $500. Perhaps money is not an issue, but for me I enjoy having essentially a free second shot with the two test route (if you look at things from my perspective).

2. Even if you took the composite test and passed (presumably because you got questions skewed towards ICND1 topics), are you REALLY at a CCNA's level of knowledge? You will have the same paper as a CCNA, but will you be able to do all the things a CCNA should be able to do? If not, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment when it comes time to put the rubber to the pavement in a job situation.

3. With #1, once you pass ICND1, you get a cert. Now given, it's an entry level cert, but it's still neat to have a new feather to hang in your cap. If you take and fail the composite, you have nothing to show for it.

You don't want to get your CCNA and not be on the same skill level as someone else with their CCNA. My $.02.
  • Options
    well put by the both of you. I hope that was helpful to others as it was helpful to me.

Thanks!
  • Options
    capitanuionutcapitanuionut Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe the general consensus is that the two test route is better for most people. Which path you choose is definitely not predicated by cost (it costs the same to take the composite as it does to take the ICND1/ICND2). It really probably isn't predicated by time either; I would imagine that it takes around the same amount of time to study for either, as the material is the same. If anything, it may take you slightly less time to study for the two test route, because ICND1 can be knocked out relatively easily, depending on your experience level.

I would have to agree with pham that it is unwise to take the one test route if your reasoning is that it will be easier. There are multiple problems:

1. Say you studied for ICND1 and passed on your first try. Now you study for ICND2 and fail on your first try, then retake it and pass on your second try. Total cost = $375. Now say you took the composite exam, you got a bank of questions skewed toward ICND2 topics, and failed. Even if you retake and pass on the next try, you now have a total cost of $500. Perhaps money is not an issue, but for me I enjoy having essentially a free second shot with the two test route (if you look at things from my perspective).

2. Even if you took the composite test and passed (presumably because you got questions skewed towards ICND1 topics), are you REALLY at a CCNA's level of knowledge? You will have the same paper as a CCNA, but will you be able to do all the things a CCNA should be able to do? If not, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment when it comes time to put the rubber to the pavement in a job situation.

3. With #1, once you pass ICND1, you get a cert. Now given, it's an entry level cert, but it's still neat to have a new feather to hang in your cap. If you take and fail the composite, you have nothing to show for it.

You don't want to get your CCNA and not be on the same skill level as someone else with their CCNA. My $.02.

And if i followed the Cisco Networking Academy wich is oriented to a composite exam(you study all the switching and routing before you even go to WAN topics)..? What should I do?
    For me now seems harder to split the topics in the ICND1&2 rather than composite...
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    And if i followed the Cisco Networking Academy wich is oriented to a composite exam(you study all the switching and routing before you even go to WAN topics)..? What should I do?
    For me now seems harder to split the topics in the ICND1&2 rather than composite...
    You could take the composite if you wanted to, once all the courses were over. I wasn't trying to imply that the composite is ALWAYS a bad idea; some people would rather just get it all over with in one sitting. I personally would still take the two test route, for the above mentioned reasons. You would just be further along in your self study because of the Cisco academy classes.