Link State vs. Distance Vector Logic

MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know this is uber basic, but I want to make sure I have it right from a Cisco perspective. I'm trying to answer the question of which routing protocols are considered to use link-state logic, and which are considered to use distance vector logic. In my research, I came up with the following list. I put EIGRP in it's own category, though I've always thought of it as a link-state protocol. Regardless, I want to know if this list is accurate with respect to the question of which protocols use which logic. Can anyone verify this for me?

Examples of Distance Vector routing protocols
  • RIP
  • RIPv2
  • IGRP
  • BGP

Examples of Link State routing protocols
  • OSPF
  • IS-IS

Examples of Advanced Distance Vector routing protocols
  • EIGRP
"We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
Blog -- Keeping It Classless

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mierdin wrote: »
    Examples of Distance Vector routing protocols
    • BGP

Forsaken will be along shortly to yell at you. =p

BGP is a path vector protocol.

EIGRP is it's own category, but you should think of it as a distance vector protocol.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Haha okay, well I just wanted some clarification on how I'm supposed to know if for the test. Is BGP not required to know then? And I'll keep that in mind about EIGRP.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless