Options

BrachCache Vs Transparent Cahce

thenoble06thenoble06 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey

I'm studying for my 70-680 - and I'm currently looking at BranchCache. I understand it, but I can't work out the differences between BranchCache and Transparent Cache.

I know you have to have W7 Ultimate/Enterprise to use BranchCache and TC works on W7 Pro, but what are the other differences?

Is it to do with BranchCache needs a 2008 Server to function?

I kind of have it in my head that BranchCache is the more advanced solution, but it seems that TC is more useful.

Am i missing something!

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Arran

Passed some exams. Failed others!

Comments

• Options
    rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes you are missing something very important!

Transparent Caching is used in conjunction with offline files / folders but is a simple caching mechanism for single users. i.e.: It's a closed system whereby clients can't share their cached files with other clients.

BranchCache allows multiple servers or clients to cache and share cached data. The sharing is the important difference. BranchCache enabled clients query clients on their local subnet to see if anyone has a cached copy of a file before utilizing the WAN.

Incidently, you don't need Server 2008 to use BranchCache if you are running it in Distributed mode. You only need a server if you are running in Hosted mode.

Hope this helps!

Richard
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA
  • Options
    thenoble06thenoble06 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ha! Yep - that is a pretty major difference :)

Thanks for pointing it out :)

Good stuff!

Arran

Passed some exams. Failed others!