What next certification should I get?

Hello everyone! I just joined this forum and it seems very promising with a lot of good information and a knowledgeable community.

I am 22 years old and graduated from Univ. of AZ in December with a Bachelor's in MIS. I have had 2 paid internships and currently have a full time position. I interned doing helpdesk/tech support at one job, and setting up Access 2007 databases along with SharePoint 2007 at the other internship. I took the full time position at the database developer/administrator position and have done a wide range of scripting, access and SQL administration, access development, windows administration, and various technical support since January. I am enrolled in graduate school starting Fall 2011 for Masters in MIS.

I am currently A+, Network+, Security+, and last weekend I finished MCITP: Sql Server 2008 DBA.

I am not entirely sure what I want to do yet. I have enjoyed all aspects of IT, except for some coding nightmares. My plan right now is to shoot for MCITP: Server Admin 2008, but I could alter this depending what you guys think.

Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCITP: Server Admin followed by MCITP: Enterprise Admin should line you up for a pretty good Enterprise level System Engineer position when combined with your current MCITP: DBA.

I'd stick down that path since there are plenty of large companies looking for DBA qualtiy system administrators/engineers these days.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    Perfect that is exactly what the DBA I currently work with. He said many DBAs do not have the SA skillset and companies are trying to find someone with both. I have seen some job postings that prefer MCITP Sql server and SA/EA.

Thanks for the quick reply!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you seen the 70-660? Be aware the beta exams for SQL Server Denali (SQL Server 2012?) are coming soom as well. Make sure you register as a SME so you can take those for free. For those who are SMEs, update your profiles!

Times...They are A'Changing: Updated SME Database Profile Survey Now Available - Born to Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn
    No I have not seen the 70-660. What is that one required for?

Thanks for the heads up on Denali. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I would take the beta test if its free.

**Edit, your link went through the 2nd time and I updated my profile. Thanks!
  • SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A good post about the MCITP MCITP Careers, Trends & Training
    I say stay on the path for that!
    Thanks for the input. I am now studying for 70-640 and I am about 1/3 through the book / labs. I am reading: MCTS Exam 70-640 configuring server 2008 active directory training kit self-paced by microsoft. It seems to be pretty good and the labs are useful. I have had experience with AD so it hasn't been a completely new topic, just more in depth.
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    70-660 is the Windows Internals stuff. Hardcore debugging, root cause analysis etc. Its for App developers and >Level 3 troubleshooting. I think its a great addition for Enterprise Admins and the likes who need to know more than just why its broken, but where its broken.