Anyone here know cisco AND palo Alto

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'll start with this: Does anyone know if this:

Gateway of last resort is 10.x.x.x to network 0.0.0.0

10.0.0.0/28 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C       10.X.X.X is directly connected, FastEthernet0/1
S*   0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 10.x.x.x
equals this:
destination              nexthop              metric flags      age   interface          next-AS
0.0.0.0/0                10.x.x.x              1 A S              ethernet1/3
10.x.x.x/28          10.x.x.x                 0 A C              ethernet1/3
10.x.x.x/32          0.0.0.0                   0 A H

For the life of me I cannot see why one works and the other doesn't.

Comments

• Options
    bump.

I am going to take another look at this in a little bit.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    never touched palo alto, but I'm guessing it's the one that's not working (you never specified, btw!)

It'd be better to put in fake numbers than a bunch of x's btw ;)

destination nexthop metric flags age interface next-AS
    0.0.0.0/0 10.x.x.x 1 A S ethernet1/3
    10.x.x.x/28 10.x.x.x 0 A C ethernet1/3
    10.x.x.x/32 0.0.0.0 0 A H

Where the x's get confusing is on the /28 route and the /32 route, as well as what's defined as next hop. I know the /32 route has to be a valid IP. It's a /32, after all, so the numbers the x's are replacing shouldn't be the same in every case. This makes it hard to help you.

At a guess, the way I'm parsing it is this - default route points to an IP on the 10. network for the next hop

10.x/28 points to the same next hop as the default route?

10.x/32 points to the default as the next hop

so here's my question - is the 10.x/32 route the one the default is using for it's next hop?

If so, well, that's probably a problem - there's a more specific route to the next hop, which is pointing to the default, which the default is going to use to reach the next hop, which is the default, and so on, and so forth.

If all my assumptions are correct, either pull the /32 route, or point it out an interface, not to the default route as the next hop.
  • Options
    Sorry sir and yes the Palo Alto isn't working.

I have two problems. In order to put a default route, you have to put something like 0.0.0.0/0 (which is already odd to be but whatever).

So lets it looks like this:

VIRTUAL ROUTER: Test
      ==========
    destination              nexthop              metric flags      age   interface
             next-AS
    0.0.0.0/0                1.1.1.49              1   S              ethernet1/
    1.1.1.48/28          1.1.1.58              0   C              ethernet1/
    1.1.1.58/32          0.0.0.0                   0   H

192.168.99.0/24          192.168.99.1              0 A C              ethernet1/
    192.168.99.1/32          0.0.0.0                   0 A H

Ignore the class C's

The default gateway should be 1.1.1.49 which it sees but it also has a directly connected route for the 1.1.1.48/28 subnet. So here's what happens, it can ping the default gateway, it can ping things off the network (8.8.8.8 ), it can ping things on the network but nothing can ping it. I thought it was the firewall but I turned it off for this test. Nothing from the subnet can ping it and nothing from the outside world can ping it. I plug in my cisco router and it can ping it everything and I can even ssh into from the outside world (from my phone icon_cool.gif). I don't understand how it is even possible for it to be pinging things but unpingable WITHOUT a firewall issue.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is the Palo Alto doing something with ICMP? Maybe there is some sort of filter on the Palo Alto device?
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Is the Palo Alto doing something with ICMP? Maybe there is some sort of filter on the Palo Alto device?

That's what I was thinking and that's what I am looking for. Honestly the gui is too busy. The cli is pretty slick but I can't find what I need. Maybe it's a default configuration or something.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's what I was thinking and that's what I am looking for. Honestly the gui is too busy. The cli is pretty slick but I can't find what I need. Maybe it's a default configuration or something.

We have Palo Alto here too. I don't deal with it though. We use it for HTTPS VPN, which is fine if you don't have to do file transfers. I do, so I tend not to use it.
  • Options
    found the problem. Hidden in the config is a setting called management profiles. Basically if you don't define a management profile and allow services it won't let you use do anything even with all other firewall services turned off (so no telnet, ping snmp, telnet, ssh, http or https). That's actually kind of brilliant.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't had a chance to play with ours but most firewalls have a totally separate section for allowing services to it's control plane (including ICMP to the device). From what I've seen a lot of the basic configuration principals are very similar to Juniper, and it is Zone based with a default of block-all, you likely have to enable host-inbound-traffic/ICMP for the zone that the OUTSIDE interface is in.

EDIT: heh...great minds...;)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to play with ours but most firewalls have a totally separate section for allowing services to it's control plane (including ICMP to the device). From what I've seen a lot of the basic configuration principals are very similar to Juniper, and it is Zone based with a default of block-all, you likely have to enable host-inbound-traffic/ICMP for the zone that the OUTSIDE interface is in.

EDIT: heh...great minds...;)

Yea. I think this is the first device that I have worked with that actually did that. I actually like that alot from a security perspective. I just wish it said something in the logs like "packet dropped due to management profile settings" That would be awesome.
  • Options
    gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I may be 2 years late for this but have you created a management profile and applied it to the interface?
    Sorry sir and yes the Palo Alto isn't working.

I have two problems. In order to put a default route, you have to put something like 0.0.0.0/0 (which is already odd to be but whatever).

So lets it looks like this:

VIRTUAL ROUTER: Test
      ==========
    destination              nexthop              metric flags      age   interface
             next-AS
    0.0.0.0/0                1.1.1.49              1   S              ethernet1/
    1.1.1.48/28          1.1.1.58              0   C              ethernet1/
    1.1.1.58/32          0.0.0.0                   0   H

192.168.99.0/24          192.168.99.1              0 A C              ethernet1/
    192.168.99.1/32          0.0.0.0                   0 A H

Ignore the class C's

The default gateway should be 1.1.1.49 which it sees but it also has a directly connected route for the 1.1.1.48/28 subnet. So here's what happens, it can ping the default gateway, it can ping things off the network (8.8.8.8 ), it can ping things on the network but nothing can ping it. I thought it was the firewall but I turned it off for this test. Nothing from the subnet can ping it and nothing from the outside world can ping it. I plug in my cisco router and it can ping it everything and I can even ssh into from the outside world (from my phone icon_cool.gif). I don't understand how it is even possible for it to be pinging things but unpingable WITHOUT a firewall issue.