Options

Considering taking the Linux+ (LPI), but I have a few questions

ScytheX10ScytheX10 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
due to my experience with *nix systems I'm considering taking this cert, but I had some questions first.

Can anyone recommend some training material that covers things well? I prefer videos, matched with a book. Money is sort of an issue, but I can deal.

Is this cert Lifetime?

Can someone explain this tidbit a bit more: Certification in CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI, attained by passing CompTIA exams LX0-101 and LX0-102, enables candidates to become certified in LPIC-1 as well, enabling further participation in the LPI program

What else is required after passing LX0-101,102 to become LPIC-1?

What is the level of difficulty and feel of the test in comparison to Security+ or Network+?

Thanks for taking the time to read/answer :)

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since the re-branding, there hasn't been much updated training material available. Currently Linux+ is lifetime, but the LPIC-1 is expires after 5 years.

I read the "further participation in the LPI program" as meaning you can take the LPIC-2.

All that is required for Linux+ is the 101 & 102. To get the LPIC-1 you have to send LPI your transcript.
  • Options
    kamay44kamay44 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking about taking the linux+ also, but the time is the major issue. if i have no previous exp with linux, how much time should i use to prepare for this certification??

I know is hard to say, because this depends on every person, but i would appreciate an estimate time, maybe 1 month or 2 months if i study 2-3 hours a day??
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kamay44 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about taking the linux+ also, but the time is the major issue. if i have no previous exp with linux, how much time should i use to prepare for this certification??

I know is hard to say, because this depends on every person, but i would appreciate an estimate time, maybe 1 month or 2 months if i study 2-3 hours a day??

I would suggest studying 'until' not 'for'. That is to say; don't study 'for' 3 hours. Study 'until' you can script an init.d app loader. Until you are comfortable with mailx. Until you can read an ACL. ETC.

These are just examples but if you look at the syllabus it will pretty much tell you right where to focus your efforts. I am a big fan of the Linux and Unix 'in a nutshell' books from O'rielly publishing.

All the best on your cert adventures!
  • Options
    kamay44kamay44 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    grauwulf wrote: »
    I would suggest studying 'until' not 'for'. That is to say; don't study 'for' 3 hours. Study 'until' you can script an init.d app loader. Until you are comfortable with mailx. Until you can read an ACL. ETC.

These are just examples but if you look at the syllabus it will pretty much tell you right where to focus your efforts. I am a big fan of the Linux and Unix 'in a nutshell' books from O'rielly publishing.

All the best on your cert adventures!

Thanks man.
  • Options
    NetAdmin84NetAdmin84 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have NO experience with Linux it will probably take you some time. You can't really just study for the exam at that point, you should just DL a couple of Distros and mess around with them. I never got around to taking Linux+, just because it's really not practical for my career, but I would recommend Fedora and Ubuntu, just DL them and practice configuring and administering. Also, make sure your are def comfortable with the the CLI because I believe the Linux+ focuses mainly on that,because they are assuming that everyone already knows how to navigate a GUI. Some main areas to hit on... configuring Crond, the INITAB file, SAMBA, installing, upgrading, and removing RPM's and Debians, mounting and unmounting drives, and basic shell scripts...
    Currently reading:

Cisco Press: CCNA Offical Exam Certification Library - Wendell Odom
    Sybex: CCNA Study Guide - Todd Lammle
    ExamCram: CCNA - Michael Valentine

Currently pursuing:

CCNA - CWNA - MCTS
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I agree with NetAdmin. Focus on the practical side of things. Do the examples in the books over and over. You must be able to do everything from the back of your head, then think of the exam.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    NetAdmin84 wrote: »
    If you have NO experience with Linux it will probably take you some time. You can't really just study for the exam at that point, you should just DL a couple of Distros and mess around with them. I never got around to taking Linux+, just because it's really not practical for my career, but I would recommend Fedora and Ubuntu, just DL them and practice configuring and administering. Also, make sure your are def comfortable with the the CLI because I believe the Linux+ focuses mainly on that,because they are assuming that everyone already knows how to navigate a GUI. Some main areas to hit on... configuring Crond, the INITAB file, SAMBA, installing, upgrading, and removing RPM's and Debians, mounting and unmounting drives, and basic shell scripts...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com