Options

VTP clarification

cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking at the VTP troubleshooting examples in Odom ICND2 and the examples have me flat out confused.

1) Example 1-6 p.45. In the explanation he states that the example had no VTP password mismatches, yet SW1 and SW3 have different MD5 hashes despite having the same case-sensitive VTP domain name. Is this an error or am I missing something? EDIT Just stumbled upon the errata, this is a printing error and they are supposed to have identical MD5 hashes.

2) Same example also says the issue between SW1 and SW3 is a switchport mode misconfiguration. I take from this that the switchport modes are what fundamentally establish whether the link is a trunk or access port, and the purpose of VTP domains is solely to regulate the propagation of VLAN data and has nothing to do with the trunk being down.

3) Example 1-5 p.40. After configuring SW1 as a VTP server (with domain password), he enables VTP client mode on SW2, then in the next command tries to set the VTP domain name yet it has already received a VTP update from SW1 and is using that domain name. Yet in the 4th bullet point on p.42 states that "If a switch that still has a (default) null domain name receives a VTP update - which by definition lists a domain name - and no password was used by the sending switch, the receiving switch starts using that VTP domain name." A domain password was configured on the VTP server so why was this updated?

Comments

• Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I'm looking at the VTP troubleshooting examples in Odom ICND2 and the examples have me flat out confused.

1) Example 1-6 p.45. In the explanation he states that the example had no VTP password mismatches, yet SW1 and SW3 have different MD5 hashes despite having the same case-sensitive VTP domain name. Is this an error or am I missing something? EDIT Just stumbled upon the errata, this is a printing error and they are supposed to have identical MD5 hashes.
    The MD5 hash is from the VTP password, not from the VTP domain name.
    2) Same example also says the issue between SW1 and SW3 is a switchport mode misconfiguration. I take from this that the switchport modes are what fundamentally establish whether the link is a trunk or access port, and the purpose of VTP domains is solely to regulate the propagation of VLAN data and has nothing to do with the trunk being down.
    VTP messages are only transmitted over ISL or 802.1Q trunk links. If the trunk is down or if the link is configured as an access port, VTP won't work.
    3) Example 1-5 p.40. After configuring SW1 as a VTP server (with domain password), he enables VTP client mode on SW2, then in the next command tries to set the VTP domain name yet it has already received a VTP update from SW1 and is using that domain name. Yet in the 4th bullet point on p.42 states that "If a switch that still has a (default) null domain name receives a VTP update - which by definition lists a domain name - and no password was used by the sending switch, the receiving switch starts using that VTP domain name." A domain password was configured on the VTP server so why was this updated?
    I'm guessing that before the password was set, SW1 has already send a VTP advertisement to SW2, and SW2 adopted the domain name. Could be wrong though..