Options

It got real today in a bad way

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
So things just got real at my job. First I was hired as a system admin then my title changed to desktop support 2 (yay not). Now today My main boss is quitting in 2 weeks and her boss got fired as well today.

So what we are left with is a team with no manager (both got fired or quit) and they might merge my job with service desk and demote my title again to like service desk support 2. Sigh. My skillset is of a system administrator and here they want me to get demoted (speculation until next week) and reset passwords and fix iphones.

What to do? I want to quit but need the money. I have applied for some jobs but obviously too early to hear back anything. Stressful =/

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Start looking and something will come along eventually. Just don't do anything crazy and quit if you need the money. Good luck man.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    I have found that companies do this from time to time. At one company I work for doing a contract gig, they tell you that you will be doing one thing and end up doing another. I just tell myself that as long as it's with computers that it counts as IT experience. You can always keep applying until something higher comes your way.

An example of job that I was talked about to was to be imaging Windows 7 on Desktop machines. When I got to the job, I started to do cable managing on computers, and installed/mounted computers to desks. Some technical skills as well like configuring Thin Terminal PC's, and replacing different cables. Nothing like I wanted to do, but since I have no IT experience, and this was my chance to gain some, I took it. Keep your chin up and keep applying and something better will come along.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    ride it out until you have a solid offer.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Hit up the Job boards, start actively looking everynight. Look for the best fit you can find.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So who is going to be the systems admin? And who is going to manage this desk? (Maybe they will promote you?)

Keep your head up and start looking to see what is out there. Never hurts to look.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wanted to add something to the above poster's post.

Let HR and those in charge of filling those managerial positions know that you're interested in taking over those positions. Be honest, let them know that you were brought on initially to be in an administrator type role anyways so it would only make sense that you be the next consideration.

At the very least they'll know you're interested and by pass you if they feel they have a better candidate in mind, they won't fire you for wanting to put your name in the hat for a promotion, they may even commend you on it.

I take on new challenges and responsibilities at my job on a regular basis in the hopes that it'll stop being a contract position and turn into a permanent position. As it stands right now I'm in the running for an open perm position that came up a couple of weeks ago and my team manager's "favorite" for the position, that's not a bad spot to be in, all because I volunteered for extra assignments and showed initiative to try and better myself within the company.

The same thing can translate for you as well just by showing interest.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Titles are irrelevant. Do the best job you can, everything else will work itself out.

If you were hired as a sys admin, then they're paying you sys admin money to be helpdesk...its not like you've been out of work for 6 months and you dont know how you're going to pay the bills. If the company is horrible, then quietly look for a better job...if not, show them they made a good decision hiring you.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Thanks for the replies!

The CIO has already said they will not hire internally only externally and most likely not hire for those positions at all. Besides my manager basically came out and said upper management does not care about the employees and won't help us. (As in don't care about more training or hardware we just are what we are). Grrr....

Could I put sys admin on my title on resume if that's what I got hired on to do even though that's not my title now? I can do all the work so it's not lieing but if I put "service desk 2" on my resume I doubt I get another system admin job with the way the economy is going...

Depressing times.
  • Options
    LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you were hired as a Sys Admin and you're still doing Sys Admin level work I would put gosh darned Sys Admin on your resume.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    The CIO has already said they will not hire internally only externally and most likely not hire for those positions at all. Besides my manager basically came out and said upper management does not care about the employees and won't help us. (As in don't care about more training or hardware we just are what we are). Grrr....

Then you have your answer, time to start looking.

Could I put sys admin on my title on resume if that's what I got hired on to do even though that's not my title now? I can do all the work so it's not lieing but if I put "service desk 2" on my resume I doubt I get another system admin job with the way the economy is going...
    Depressing times.

If that was your title at one point, I wouldn't feel guilty calling myself that on a resume.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Put whatever you want on your resume, just remember that you need to support that knowledge in an interview.

If I put I was a Level 4 Enterprise Cisco engineer on my resume, I would never get a job. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Were you on good terms with the managers that left? If so, I would recommend looking them up on LinkedIn, etc. Stay connected and find out were they are working.

Otherwise, look around for any new positions elsewhere.