Options

Preparations for Job Interview

Got an interview for a position next week and was wondering how the TechExams population prepares.

Also what kind of answers do you normally give to the general questions (strengths, weaknesses, where will you be in 5 years, etc.)?

Comments

• Options
    Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Got an interview for a position next week and was wondering how the TechExams population prepares.

Also what kind of answers do you normally give to the general questions (strengths, weaknesses, where will you be in 5 years, etc.)?

1) Go to company's website. Google company's website and look for positives and negatives. That's my rule number 1 for interviews...especially when you're asked "What do you know about us?"

2) Get good night sleep the night before

3) Wake up, get ready, don the interview armor (a hot suit)

General things I do for interviews

1) Look my interviews in the eye [never stare]. If I have multiple interviewers, look the asker in the eye for a good amount of time, then look at the other folks and then go right back to the asker. It has to look and feel natural though...not robotic.

2) Appear confident in whatever I'm asked of. I avoid answers like I don't know. If I'm asked about Cisco routers, something I have not worked on in over a decade, I say "I'm familiar with how they work, however I haven't worked with them in over 10 years."

Remember, there is always going to be a bit of nervousness going into interviews. But if you just be yourself, sell yourself on being confident and you look and feel sharp, that's really what people are looking for. If two guys give the exact same answer, then the guy who seemed more confident gets the job.