Question about labbing for the 70-640?

In my efforts to pick my next exam to study for, I will ask a couple questions.

I figured out which books to use, but what do you do in order to lab for the 70-640? I found out I can get Windows Server 2008 R2 or the Windows Server 2008 standard from Microsoft Dreamspark because I am still in school, which OS does the 70-640 require?

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What you need to lab -

1. A computer. A computer that does VT-x, or without the geek-speak one that supports virtualisation. Most modern computers do, so anything above an Intel E6500 probably does support virtualisation. But check on the maufacturer's website to be sure. Sometimes VT-x is turned off in the BIOS and you just need to go in and turn it on. I needed to do a BIOS update on two of my computers to get them to display the option in BIOS to turn on VT-x, so you may need to do it too.

The computer must have atleast 4GB RAM (the more, the merrier). The computer should also have 2 hard disks, maybe more if you want better performance.

2. You need a virtualisation software, such as VMware Server 2.0 (free), VMware Workstation (not free, about $133 US), VMWare ESXi (free 60day eval), VirtualPC (free) or VirtualBox (also free).

3. You also need iso's for Windows Server 2008 R2. You can pull a free download from Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation Free 180-Day Trial

4. For books and related resources. Your best bet is Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 . Absolutely free, the most exhaustive resource available, but can be a bit overwhelming at first. So I'd recommend the Mark Minasi book, Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2. The Windows 2008 R2 Unleashed is also ok, but Minasi's is better.

5. Ensure the books you buy say that the content is all Windows Server 2008 R2 since that's what on the exam.

6. Lab the material as much as you can, read, lab, read, lab and repeat. Do not skim over anything. If you cant understand something, read multiple sources - books, Google, ask on here.

It's not a difficult exam. Easily passable, if you lab it right.

HTH!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com