Thoughts on College Certificates?

jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
I should be finishing at WGU in the next 3 months and eventually am looking to get into a management role. A master's degree just isn't in the cards financially right now. What are your thoughts on graduate level certificates?

Leadership certificate | Certificate in Leadership | Notre Dame

It is not cheap, but work would pay for half.
WGU grad

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Any graduate-level certificate that can be used at a later date to earn a Masters degree is good. If the certificate just stands on its own [e.g. it can't be parlayed into a Masters to be earned later], then that's bad.
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You didn't mention if you had any management experience. Have you been a project manager, lead tech, or anything like that?
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I've done project management in IT and have management experience in other fields than IT.
    WGU grad
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've done project management in IT and have management experience in other fields than IT.

Okay, I thought you had zero experience and wanted to go into management. From what I have seen regarding managers and IT, it really depends on the company when it comes to management positions and degrees. Government agencies want the degree, private companies probably want the advanced degree and experience.

I think the major problem you will face is going up against people that do have the masters degree and experience, since so many people have lost their job, there must be an unusually high number of qualified candidates. Good luck out there.icon_cheers.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the major problem you will face is going up against people that do have the masters degree and experience, since so many people have lost their job, there must be an unusually high number of qualified candidates. Good luck out there.icon_cheers.gif

That is so true. That's why the schools I'm looking at has to have a program that I can finish in two or three years and that's part-time. Many colleges recognize this and have made their part-time program doable by having school year-round (fall, spring, summer I and Summer II). I plan on going that route when I'm done.