Options

Anyone have experience traveling to other parts of the world for work?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
My current role is beginning to open up and their are a lot of potential opportunities on the horizon. Currently I am being probed to see if I would be interested in the idea of leading a transition in London England followed by Quebec Canada, Rio De Janeiro Brazil. These are not projects, but engagements. I would be counted on to transition our current processes into other world hubs of our company. I think it's a great opportunity, but I don't have the experience yet to see the pros and cons, other than the really obvious ones.

This could lead into other countries as well. South Africa just to name another. But the 3 mentioned are the main hubs being considered. There are other smaller sites that I may have to visit as well. Lyon in France and others.

What can I expect? I think this is potentially a great opportunity for me to learn international business and move into a more strategic position. My boss has recommended some reading material, mostly all financial based liked forecasting, budgeting, and planning.

My concerns is that I am not quite ready and that some of my skill sets are still in development. Presenting, Finance, and Service Management just to name a few. I do have serious buy in from our customers and my boss and our management team.

Sorry for the rant but I am nervous and excited. I have a family and my fiancee said she would be upset if I didn't take an opportunity like this. The pay would increase, by how much I am not sure.

Thanks again for reading my word salad ;)

One other thing I failed to mention is the time frame. The transitions are slated to go on for 1-3 months for each facility. Thanks again I would really like to hear some of the more senior guys chime in or people who global experience.

BTW I only speak english, this is something I am going to have to correct one of these days. I reallllllly need to learn another language, but C'est la vie.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sure sounds like a great opportunity, congrats for being considered in the first place.icon_thumright.gif What's the risk? Will your old (current) job still be available if you decide it's not for you after one or more transitions? Obviously being away from your family for 1-3 months can be tough - but do you know how long you'll be back before going to the next?
    N2IT wrote: »
    My concerns are that I am not quite ready and that some of my skill sets are still in development. Presenting, Finance, and Service Management just to name a few.
    Skills you will continue to develop abroad as well. I'm sure they wouldn't have asked you for such a job if you weren't more than capable.

Starting in the UK would give you the opportunity to experience working abroad without major language-difference problems. I've never worked abroad physically but was a project leader for a couple of projects that involved over a dozen of locations spread over the globe (Guam, Indonesia, Nigeria to name a few) and it didn't really surprise me that especially in IT departments they have little problems with the English language. Obviously that will variate per country, e.g. in countries where French, Spanish or Portuguese is the main language it's not uncommon to adapt to their language (making an effort is often appreciated by itself) but even then, in IT, shouldn't be much of a problem.

Instead of learning the language it's much more important to take an interest in the local customs, especially for roles that involves any management and even more when it involves making changes.

And personally, you had me at Rioicon_sunny.gif
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Sure sounds like a great opportunity, congrats for being considered in the first place.icon_thumright.gif What's the risk? Will your old (current) job still be available if you decide it's not for you after one or more transitions? Obviously being away from your family for 1-3 months can be tough - but do you know how long you'll be back before going to the next?

Skills you will continue to develop abroad as well. I'm sure they wouldn't have asked you for such a job if you weren't more than capable.

Starting in the UK would give you the opportunity to experience working abroad without major language-difference problems. I've never worked abroad physically but was a project leader for a couple of projects that involved over a dozen of locations spread over the globe (Guam, Indonesia, Nigeria to name a few) and it didn't really surprise me that especially in IT departments they have little problems with the English language. Obviously that will variate per country, e.g. in countries where French, Spanish or Portuguese is the main language it's not uncommon to adapt to their language (making an effort is often appreciated by itself) but even then, in IT, shouldn't be much of a problem.

Instead of learning the language it's much more important to take an interest in the local customs, especially for roles that involves any management and even more when it involves making changes.

And personally, you had me at Rioicon_sunny.gif

My job would still be there once this transition is over.

I appreciate you taking time out to discuss this with me. I also appreciate the tips you provided.

Talking to someone about this really helps a lot.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Are there any others in your organization who have been at those sites and you could ask for advice? Those who have experience working abroad usually love to talk about it. I always enjoyed the stories a project manager who seemingly had been "everywhere" told, though probably not as much as he liked to tell them. Although I didn't take the few offers I had to work abroad (in my case read: chickened out) I know it's a tough decision once you get a real chance, good luck!

Obviously a rather different and unique location but in case you haven't noticed this one, we have a TE member who recently took the plunge and works in quite the "other parts of the world":
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/67826-new-job-heading-arctic.html
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Listen, how many times will YOU ever get an opportunity like this...EVER? Plus your fiancee is on board. This could lead to you being a SVP at some outsourced site. London? Rio? Man, c'mon....LOL!

Take it. A year ago you didn't think you'd get the job you got now. Now you're on your way to being a C-Level head honcho....you'd be a fool to turn this down. This is career advancement to the extreme! Do it while you're still young and get that international exposure that can only HELP and not HURT your career.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Listen, how many times will YOU ever get an opportunity like this...EVER? Plus your fiancee is on board. This could lead to you being a SVP at some outsourced site. London? Rio? Man, c'mon....LOL!

Take it. A year ago you didn't think you'd get the job you got now. Now you're on your way to being a C-Level head honcho....you'd be a fool to turn this down. This is career advancement to the extreme! Do it while you're still young and get that international exposure that can only HELP and not HURT your career.

I don't know about the C level part ERP, but I agree with what you are saying. I am just thankful to have a chance to grow my skills.

BTW I forgot to mention, even though I haven't committed to an MBA degree program, I am almost 100% sure I will be taking the finance and accounting course associated with the program. Now I am trying to get my work to pay for them ;)
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is a chance of a life time. Wheels up and game on! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My current role is beginning to open up and their are a lot of potential opportunities on the horizon. Currently I am being probed to see if I would be interested in the idea of leading a transition in London England followed by Quebec Canada, Rio De Janeiro Brazil. These are not projects, but engagements. I would be counted on to transition our current processes into other world hubs of our company. I think it's a great opportunity, but I don't have the experience yet to see the pros and cons, other than the really obvious ones.

This could lead into other countries as well. South Africa just to name another. But the 3 mentioned are the main hubs being considered. There are other smaller sites that I may have to visit as well. Lyon in France and others.

What can I expect? I think this is potentially a great opportunity for me to learn international business and move into a more strategic position. My boss has recommended some reading material, mostly all financial based liked forecasting, budgeting, and planning.

My concerns is that I am not quite ready and that some of my skill sets are still in development. Presenting, Finance, and Service Management just to name a few. I do have serious buy in from our customers and my boss and our management team.

Sorry for the rant but I am nervous and excited. I have a family and my fiancee said she would be upset if I didn't take an opportunity like this. The pay would increase, by how much I am not sure.

Thanks again for reading my word salad ;)

One other thing I failed to mention is the time frame. The transitions are slated to go on for 1-3 months for each facility. Thanks again I would really like to hear some of the more senior guys chime in or people who global experience.

BTW I only speak english, this is something I am going to have to correct one of these days. I reallllllly need to learn another language, but C'est la vie.

I worked as a contract Network Architect in Spain last year. Designed a VOIP gateway colocation facility in DC's in Barcelona and Madrid. Good experience living and working in Barcelona and my wife and son came over for a month. If the opportunity presents itself, do it. I certainly gained a lot from it professionally, culturally and personally. We live once.
  • Options
    esswokesswok Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a chance of a life time. Wheels up and game on! icon_cheers.gif

Agree icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    I don't know about the C level part ERP, but I agree with what you are saying. I am just thankful to have a chance to grow my skills.

BTW I forgot to mention, even though I haven't committed to an MBA degree program, I am almost 100% sure I will be taking the finance and accounting course associated with the program. Now I am trying to get my work to pay for them ;)

Finance and Accounting isn't optional in an MBA program....you have to either have had it in your undergrad, or take it in your program.

The reason I mentioned the C-Level stuff was that's how the guy who ran Walmart-China started. THey sent him all over the world, then they made him in charge of Walmart-China. He's just one of many examples; a lot of business leaders get moved up quickly BECAUSE of their international exposure. You don't have to take my word for that....google that ----. LOL.

Don't **** yourself out of an opportunity.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My experiences with international work have mainly included the UK. At one job, I traveled there for about a week at a time (most times slightly longer) a couple of times each year. In addition, I did a lot of work remotely for the office there. That job also afforded me the ability to work remotely with folks in continental Europe and China (well, Hong Kong).

In my last job, the company was purchased by a German company, and I worked with them remotely to establish VPN connectivity and SAP access. I would likely have traveled to Germany.

In the future, I would love to work in Germany for 2-3 years. I think it would be a great opportunity for me to work on my pre-1650 genealogy, and take short trips around Europe. I guess that will be something I do as my kids get older; since I started early, I will still be young. My eldest daughter doesn't like the idea of living in Germany at all... as a matter of fact, she is kind of disgusted to have German heritage... even though it comes from both sides of her family. The other two would be up for adventure. :)
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Finance and Accounting isn't optional in an MBA program....you have to either have had it in your undergrad, or take it in your program.

Hey ERP this is not entirely correct. See the course curriculum from a top 25 MBA program. ***Note the course title is introduction to Financial Accounting.
    Olin Business School | Professional MBA | Curriculum

Here is an EMBA program from Wharton's business school. http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mbaexecutive/academics/curriculum-structure.cfm

Again a lot of finance involved. Most programs I have seen offer electives as well, which I think is great. You can shape your degree program to focus on what you feel is important. I personally feel finance and accounting are number 1. If you can't explain what's happenings quantatively you are useless in the eyes of the executives.

Finance plays a role in the program. I would avoid any MBA program that didn't atleast have one course that was finance related. That goes along the same lines of an MBA program that didn't require a GMAT or GRE. Of course that is just my opinion.
    The reason I mentioned the C-Level stuff was that's how the guy who ran Walmart-China started. THey sent him all over the world, then they made him in charge of Walmart-China. He's just one of many examples; a lot of business leaders get moved up quickly BECAUSE of their international exposure. You don't have to take my word for that....google that ----. LOL.

Don't **** yourself out of an opportunity.

Hey one can dream and I don't mind these stories they do bring hope.
  • Options
    Hey ERP this is not entirely correct. See the course curriculum from a top 25 MBA program. ***Note the course title is introduction to Financial Accounting.
    Olin Business School | Professional MBA | Curriculum

Finance plays a role in the program. I would avoid any MBA program that didn't atleast have one course that was finance related. That goes along the same lines of an MBA program that didn't require a GMAT or GRE. Of course that is just my opinion.

Hey one can dream and I don't mind these stories they do bring hope.

I think I need to rephrase, especially after I just checked out your link. I didn't mean you needed a degree in Finance or Accounting. Many MBA programs will want you to have some sort of foundation in Finance and/or Accounting. Especially AACSB programs, such as the one you showed me.

There is hardly any AACSB programs that do not require a GMAT and if they don't, they can't be good, so I'm 100% in agreement with you. All of my grad school choices are AACSB programs and so far, I've only found one program I like that's online. The rest are local to me. One of them requires Calculus I and I'm kind of in the process to learn me some as I kind of would not mind going there after work. I figure if gang bangers from L.A. can learn Calculus, surely I can too....(Stand and Deliver...I hate that movie. I'm more of a Lean on Me fan LOL. [I actually met Joe Clark...he really is a ----])

BTW, EMBA programs are something for folks that have already been captains of industry or running shops. I would have to do a full MBA (part-time, of course).
  • Options
    I think I need to rephrase, especially after I just checked out your link. I didn't mean you needed a degree in Finance or Accounting. Many MBA programs will want you to have some sort of foundation in Finance and/or Accounting. Especially AACSB programs, such as the one you showed me.

I think we are on the same page. I agree you would want to at least take some basic finance and accounting courses if you had never been exposed to it before. Heck it's been several years since I tapped into my accounting and financial knowledge. I just started back up recently.
    There is hardly any AACSB programs that do not require a GMAT and if they don't, they can't be good, so I'm 100% in agreement with you. All of my grad school choices are AACSB programs and so far, I've only found one program I like that's online. The rest are local to me. One of them requires Calculus I and I'm kind of in the process to learn me some as I kind of would not mind going there after work. I figure if gang bangers from L.A. can learn Calculus, surely I can too....(Stand and Deliver...I hate that movie. I'm more of a Lean on Me fan LOL. [I actually met Joe Clark...he really is a ----])

That is hiliarous. Classic!

BTW, EMBA programs are something for folks that have already been captains of industry or running shops. I would have to do a full MBA (part-time, of course).

Agreed with this completely. I wouldn't consider myself an executive that's for darn sure.

Lately I have been eyeing down the Mini MBA programs where you select 3 courses of your liking that are graduate level courses. eg International business, accounting etc.

And as always I appreciate the conversation.