Options

Should you leave off the tech certs when applying for a Management position?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was wondering how the forum felt about this.

Example: Job IT Service Manager

Should you be listing comptia certs or microsoft office certs when applying for this job. Do you think it looks minor league and can hurt your chances of landing a solid job?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yupp, I'd leave those off, but not because they are minor league but because they'd probably be irrelevant to the position. I have never put the A+ for the past 4 or so years, it doesnt make a difference to me anymore. And as I go further along in my career, I'll start some of the MCTS's off the cert list on my resume too.

A resume is a pretty limited and valuable piece of real estate, use it wisely.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    The managers that I know don't have any certs but years of experience as a tech or engineer, 8-10 yrs. Others have MBA, another guy has masters + ccnp and cissp. So it really depends on the company if they have a better pool of candidates or not.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    The managers that I know don't have any certs but years of experience as a tech or engineer, 8-10 yrs. Others have MBA, another guy has masters + ccnp and cissp. So it really depends on the company if they have a better pool of candidates or not.

Experience is number one of course and I am thankful to be getting that and lots of it. That trumps all, but as far as listing the certifications is what I am more concerned about. Circling back to what I initially asked, should you list the tech certs or not. I have a B.Sc in Management from a B&M regionally accredited school and several service management certifications. Those are obvious items to list. I am more concerned about listing Microsoft Office certifications or A+, S+ those types. Would or could those hurt you is essentially what I asking.

I am on the fence at this point.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't see why you wouldn't list them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I would. I would show off the fact that I know my technical knowledge as well as business. You know how many managers out their know nothing technical? If you are going for an IT manager position then I would put all your technical stuff on the resume. Shows that you will have a better relationship with your employees because you know what you are talking about versus someone who knows nothing about technical at all.