Options

SSD HDD for Labbing Machine (MCITP)

arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I am in progress of doing my MCITP and have recently received my Dell Poweredge T110 a few days ago. I'll be going off to a local mall to get two pieces of ECC RAM(s) (8GB). Since I am going to load VMWare on the machine, should i purchase a SSD Drive (64GB) to run 2 OS's off of it?

64GB as its within my price range at the moment, and I'll be ordering it online as its cheaper than getting it from the retail outlet. Would this be recommended or should I just stick with my 250GB 7200 RPM HDD for the moment?

SSD's that i am looking at :

OCZ Vertex 2 - 60GB (R:285 / W:275MB/s)
Corsair F60 - 60GB (R:285/W:275MB/s)
Kingston SV100-S2 64GB (R:250 / W:230MB/s)

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    arvin2212 wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I am in progress of doing my MCITP and have recently received my Dell Poweredge T110 a few days ago. I'll be going off to a local mall to get two pieces of ECC RAM(s) (8GB). Since I am going to load VMWare on the machine, should i purchase a SSD Drive (64GB) to run 2 OS's off of it?

64GB as its within my price range at the moment, and I'll be ordering it online as its cheaper than getting it from the retail outlet. Would this be recommended or should I just stick with my 250GB 7200 RPM HDD for the moment?

SSD's that i am looking at :

OCZ Vertex 2 - 60GB (R:285 / W:275MB/s)
    Corsair F60 - 60GB (R:285/W:275MB/s)
    Kingston SV100-S2 64GB (R:250 / W:230MB/s)

Stick with the 250 GB that was included for now. I think you'll find that adequate for labbing.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Stick with the 250 GB that was included for now. I think you'll find that adequate for labbing.

Thank you. I shall forgo the idea of obtaining a SSD for now. :)
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you. I shall forgo the idea of obtaining a SSD for now. :)

Take that money you were going to spend on the SSD and buy 250 GB disks or more ram to get 16GB. I can't fathom spending money on a SSD just for labbing. For the price, and just to get it to go fast just isn't cost effective for labbing.

I just finished maxing out my ML 110 G6 server. Got the same 4GB RAM chips I bought last year at a much discounted price (what a difference a year makes) and got the exact same model of 250 GB HDs. I now have 16 GB and 4 x 250 GB.

After I'm done with labbing, I'm gonna probably turn this into a full time SQL/PeopleSoft lab.

Seriously though, forgo (permanently) that SSD....you don't need it for labbing.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    take that money and get a used server to expand your lab icon_lol.gif You cant never have too many pcs :)

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=SVR
  • Options
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    take that money and get a used server to expand your lab icon_lol.gif You cant never have too many pcs :)

Refurbished Servers, Cheap Servers, Cheap Computer Servers - Geeks.com

How I wish i was living in the USA but for now, used servers are a lot more expensive than those that are listed on the site but i like the idea of expanding my lab. Perhaps in the future when i get into the deeper end of the "pool".
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Take that money you were going to spend on the SSD and buy 250 GB disks or more ram to get 16GB. I can't fathom spending money on a SSD just for labbing. For the price, and just to get it to go fast just isn't cost effective for labbing.

I just finished maxing out my ML 110 G6 server. Got the same 4GB RAM chips I bought last year at a much discounted price (what a difference a year makes) and got the exact same model of 250 GB HDs. I now have 16 GB and 4 x 250 GB.

After I'm done with labbing, I'm gonna probably turn this into a full time SQL/PeopleSoft lab.

Seriously though, forgo (permanently) that SSD....you don't need it for labbing.

I think i shall save the money to get a higher amount of RAM and then several HDDs.

PeopleSoft is some sort of advanced directory software right?

Btw guys, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Although my replies may not be as much, but I am certainly learning. Thank you all once again.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PeopleSoft is some sort of advanced directory software right?

While most PeopleSoft implementations do use LDAP for user integration (and in some cases for "role-based security", [Security+ topic... :) ]), PeopleSoft is an ERP. When I had started in 2003, it was it's own company that did $2 Billion a year in revenue. Then Oracle did the evil thing and bought them out in a hostile bid. Orcale initially wanted to shelve PeopleSoft so that their own ERP solutions could flourish but a "poison pill" was inserted by the PeopleSoft CEO so that couldn't happen. Oracle essentially went from No. 3 in the ERP market to No. 2, behind only SAP.

Enterprise resource planning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PeopleSoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia