Options

Damage control, AKA how do I weasel out of this?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
My current job isn't one I enjoy and I took it because it was the only thing around at the time. I plan to stay here until the new year and make the most of it only for the sake of my resume. After that I have the hopes of relocating.

I rather foolishly said to the team leader that I needed some training in Commvault. The manager OK'ed and advised me to complete the training form. It's only then I realised the obvious:

*If I resign within 12 months of completing a course paid my the company I will have to repay the costs.
*There's no way I'm paying back $3300 for a something that doesn't add much value to my CV.

Now I'm back in familiar territory; weasel territory, that is.

Should I:
1. Give some lame reason as to why I'm not sure I'll be able commit to a further year at this company (bad).
2. Give a lame reason for suddenly not wanting to do the training, ie. too busy, already studying for 3x exams (suspicious).
3. Ask to defer the training and hope they forget all about it (slightly less suspicious).
4. Hopefully a great idea from anyone reading this.

Highly appreciate any suggestions as I've messed up on an intrinsic scale.

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's tough. How long would it take you to complete the training? If it's not too long, you could complete it, wait out the year, then move on.

You could also just tell them you changed your mind and would like to study something else, maybe something more suited to what you do now.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    That's tough. How long would it take you to complete the training? If it's not too long, you could complete it, wait out the year, then move on.

You could also just tell them you changed your mind and would like to study something else, maybe something more suited to what you do now.

The training is only a 3x day course. It's repaying the cost that's the problem when I leave, and I have every intention of leaving before the subsequent 12 months, as it's part of a bigger picture.

Part of the issue is that this is totally relevant to my work right now and they will push for me do it. It's not so simple to say I don't want training anymore, especially when I stupidly asked for it.
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    Perhaps you could convince them that after examining the available online resources/self-guided training materials you could equally or better learn the material at 90% of the cost to them. Then, at worst, you'd only be on the hook for just a few books or CBTs.

Seems reasonable that you would have looked into this option after researching the cost/quality of the training course.

And hope that they don't see this thread, of course :)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    Perhaps you could convince them that after examining the available online resources/self-guided training materials you could equally or better learn the material at 90% of the cost to them. Then, at worst, you'd only be on the hook for just a few books or CBTs.

Seems reasonable that you would have looked into this option after researching the cost/quality of the training course.

And hope that they don't see this thread, of course :)

I would not take the class if you are fairly certain you will be leaving. If it were me I would just never bring it up again and forget I mentioned it. If management or team leader brings it up, give them mattlee's explanation.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I would not take the class if you are fairly certain you will be leaving. If it were me I would just never bring it up again and forget I mentioned it. If management or team leader brings it up, give them mattlee's explanation.

+1 to blarg and matt. The "self-study" route would appear as "saving" them money icon_cool.gif.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »

I almost dismissed this assuming that mgmt would be back around to hassle me about taking the course. But then again, I reckon this could just go away by forgetting about the whole thing. Then like mattlee mentioned as contingency, say I decided to just self-study.

Got the plan, thanks for the help. It's looking to be much easier than expected.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for the self study route.

If management say you must go on the course then (prior to agreeing) I would challenge the clause saying you need to pay for the course if you leave - I don't think this should apply to mandatory training.
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say to just not bring it back up at all. If they ask you about it just say "you can't find a training program that will meet your current work schedule. You'll make due with what you have and look for a better option."

All of which is true icon_razz.gif

Most of the time managers don't remember about this stuff the next day or next month. Being one of those managers myself, I'd just let it ride. Good luck.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I would just not mention it again and take no further action. If my manager inquired into why I hadn't followed through on it, I would tell him that I'd decided I didn't want the training after all (and no more than that). If he pursued it further, I would explain that with all of the job market uncertainty, the clause requiring repayment if you left in under a year wasn't something you were willing to live with. After all, if the worst happened, and you were forced to leave for some reason (fired, family member death, laid off, etc), you'd be on the hook for alot of money at the worst time possible (ie, you're unemployed), and that as long as that clause was there, you would not be comfortable accepting training the company has paid for.

Most of the time, the boss is going to understand this, and you'll never speak on the subject again. Best case scenario would be him understanding it enough to waive the clause (get that in writing if so!) and sending you to the training anyway!