Options

So I was finally given admin rights to some of the servers here. Question though.

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I work at a very large Help Desk with a huge customer base and was recently given administrative rights to some of the servers. Yesterday was my first time actually remoting into one of these servers ( a print server). I went in and only needed to restart the print spooler and that resolved my issue for the customer. Upon logging off this print server I noticed the option (as expected) to shutdown the server as well as log off. I logged off but here is the question: What happens of a person inadvertently shutdown the print server? Bear in mind that many many sites rely on this print server. I would think it'd be simple enough to just turn the server (WS2k3) back on. I know better than to just shut a server down but how often does that happen and what are the consequences? I know that the answer probably is a hard one to give.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    beck11488beck11488 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ur company should use group policy and remove the shut down, restart options. That is what we do with our help desk to the servers we allow them access to.

I think the what would happen is up to each companies own policies.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Network i work on has the same setup. The Shut down option is available on all the servers.

On our network is a known policy that is you reboot a server my mistake, disciplinary action will be taken, something as simple as having your rights removed, or up to termination.

So as an Admin, i always make sure i click log off, and don't be in a hurry. double check what you see on the screen before you click.

The only people i have seen actually reboot one never should have had the right in the first place.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    The option is there for our servers as well but in our environment it likely wouldn't cause any noticeable issue if restarted immediately. Redundant AD DCs and the such.

It wasn't all the uncommon when learning netware to accidently get trapped needing to reboot the server. I'm lucky to work in a laidback environment (K-12) and any short mistaken shutdowns are unlikely to be a major issue if noticed at all by users.

Then again we have plenty of redundancy and instead of bitter users we have a healthy and respected relationship with staff.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    arvin2212arvin2212 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Or,

alternately you could go to run and type "logoff" without the " " prefix. You could do the same from the command line. We were told to follow that method at my workplace to ensure that we don't click on something undesirable.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alright, I was just wondering. I realized that in a hurry, one could mistakenly click shutdown instead of logoff.

By the way, this is on the NMCI helpdesk just to give you an idea of "how large" of a network it is. And please no hate post!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Alright, I was just wondering. I realized that in a hurry, one could mistakenly click shutdown instead of logoff.

By the way, this is on the NMCI helpdesk just to give you an idea of "how large" of a network it is. And please no hate post!
    Well, in that case, at least it's only 1 of some ~4000 servers, lol. icon_surprised.gif:D

We've had a few instances of accidental things regarding servers, but only in K-12 support. I assume that
    cruwl wrote:
    On our network is a known policy that is you reboot a server my mistake, disciplinary action will be taken, something as simple as having your rights removed, or up to termination."
    is probably true regarding for-profit and military networks...the only way to seriously prevent these things from happening the first time.
  • Options
    E-UnixE-Unix Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If no print jobs were spooling at the moment, then interruption would probably be unnoticed. If users have single sign on to domain, they wouldn't notice it. If there were custom print APPs running, that could be a problem. If admin has Host Intrusion app running, he would find out soon enough.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    On a print server, I don't see it being too big of a problem. On a production database/web server....that's a different story.

Also, remember that if it's shutoff, someone has to go and turn it back on, and I doubt you have access to the physical servers.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pham0329 wrote: »
    Snip... Also, remember that if it's shutoff, someone has to go and turn it back on, and I doubt you have access to the physical servers.

That's why he needs access to iLO\DRAC\IRSA! icon_lol.gif
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Possibly offer up shut down event tracker and get some brownie points?

My first year with a Linux back end kept me worried like that. Mind you this isn't 4000 servers, but one wrong asterisk...
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■

I cannot count the number of times iLO has come in handy. One of the best things HP ever made.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556

iLO and DRAC can get spendy....what's IRSA?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    cruwl wrote: »
    The Network i work on has the same setup. The Shut down option is available on all the servers.

On our network is a known policy that is you reboot a server my mistake, disciplinary action will be taken, something as simple as having your rights removed, or up to termination.

So as an Admin, i always make sure i click log off, and don't be in a hurry. double check what you see on the screen before you click.

The only people i have seen actually reboot one never should have had the right in the first place.

That is a bold and and un needed policy. I have worked for some of the worlds largest banks and these types of things are going to happen no matter what. The key is that your system should be designed so that 1 single server shouldn't bring down your infrastructure.

Mistakes are going to happen and they shouldn't be minimized as much as possible, where the one guy above mentioned group policy. With that said a person who makes constant mistakes with procedures in place should be let go, but 1 incident you shouldn't have your access taken or be terminated.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    IMO:
    beck11488 wrote: »
    Ur company should use group policy and remove the shut down, restart options. That is what we do with our help desk to the servers we allow them access to.
    Good way to do it
    Bad way to do it
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pham0329 wrote: »
    iLO and DRAC can get spendy....what's IRSA?

I should have said IBM RSA (Remote Supervisor Adapter).
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192

Termination of employment for rebooting a server? I reckon the admins/engineers who allow you to do such a thing should be the ones to be terminated for not locking down the option and not the person who did it.
  • Options
    benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it's a virtual box, accidental shutdown is probably less catastrophic since it can be turned back on with a mouse click rather than a person having to push a button. Boot time should be faster too. But, depending on the service it provides, I can see how doing so would cost someone their job.

Oh, and accidentally installing Windows Updates is probably worse - again because GPOs should not allow this to happen...