Options

Pay scale?

felafoofelafoo Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been looking for pay ranges but can't find any.

I plan on getting my B.S. from WGU in IT, and then my M.S. from Colorado State in CIS.

Any links to info on payscales in CIS at the Master's level?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ummm...

What in IT do you want to do that you're trying to seek your fortune in? What area do you want to do it in?

A Systems Analyst can make "x" amount in one part of the country (or world) whereas the same job would make "y" amount. Payscales can be misleading...especially if you're trying to break into IT with just a degree or two.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Ummm...

What in IT do you want to do that you're trying to seek your fortune in? What area do you want to do it in?

A Systems Analyst can make "x" amount in one part of the country (or world) whereas the same job would make "y" amount. Payscales can be misleading...especially if you're trying to break into IT with just a degree or two.

+1

Different positions make different amount depending on your location. Plus without knowing any further background of your IT experience, do not expect to graduate with a degree and make 80k+ a year like the commercials brag about. Many places require actual experience.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a thread in a different section of these forums that should give you an idea of what you are looking for...I think. Forget those payscale sites you see, here are what the real world workers make.

Real world IT salaries
    WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress
  • Options
    To be specific... a similar job I may consider has a posting like this:

Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or CIS preferred or an equivalent combination of college coursework in information technology, applicable work experience and technical certifications. Experience with back-up and storage systems, ranging from departmental-based to enterprise level including tape devices and SANs.
    DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Possess in-depth expertise for server and computer operating systems, network configurations, provider practice management systems, system back-up solutions, and technical security. Technical knowledge of current system set up in the areas of e-mail management, client configurations, desktop OS, group policies, and active directory. Ability to troubleshoot simple to complex configurations in the areas of network configurations such as DNS, DHCP, Firewall, Anti Virus, and wireless access points to include ability to troubleshoot and maintain cabling needed in the infrastructure. Working troubleshooting knowledge of peripheral configuration and maintenance such as PCs, Printers, Faxes, modems, etc. Proficiency with computer security tools and configurations. Working knowledge of remote access configurations and applications such as Citrix, VMWare and terminal Services. MCSE/MCSA/MCP (Microsoft), A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications preferred.

I'm not looking at applying now, but when I'm done with school and wanted to get a feel for it.

I currently have an associates in nursing, will be finishing my bachelor's up in a year and then will work on my associates then master's in CIS. I plan to work for the hospital I currently work for in the Northern Colorado Area.

Yes, my degrees will be unrelated... sort of, the specific area I want to go into is healthcare, perhaps my user end experience will give me perspective for the management/IT side.

Why nursing first? I like healthcare and love computing... healthcare is probably one of the few fields where an associates degree will pretty much guarantee you a starting salary of 60k+ depending on location with benefits. For now, computing is my hobby and I hope to change it to my profession, and healthcare will be my hobby.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    How much experience in IT do you have? If you haven't start working in IT yet then that pay scale DOES NOT apply to you, does not matter what degree you have.

IT jobs require experience. That job that you posted requires many different level of certifications, meaning in order to qualify, you'd have to work in the field for quite some time.

In short, try looking at helpdesk type of job if you're just starting out, even with a BS :D or stick with nursing.
  • Options
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    How much experience in IT do you have? If you haven't start working in IT yet then that pay scale DOES NOT apply to you, does not matter what degree you have.

IT jobs require experience. That job that you posted requires many different level of certifications, meaning in order to qualify, you'd have to work in the field for quite some time.

In short, try looking at helpdesk type of job if you're just starting out, even with a BS :D or stick with nursing.

I assumed as much. Only about a year setting up and maintaining a network for my in-law who is a CPA... I plan on doing small side jobs etc to increase the experience as I get more educated.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    If you love the work, then work hard, and eventually the money will come. It's suck but that's the reality of IT. Just make sure you know everything ahead before committing your time and resources going down this path :D
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I agree with what has been said already, generic pay scales aren't really worth the paper they're written on. For example locally (within 1 1/2 hours travel time)I've seen the following job roles over the last couple of years:

IT Managers (middle management) positions anywhere from £19k (approx $30k) up to £60k (approx $98k).

IT Engineer positions anywhere from £13k (approx $21k) up to £50k (approx $81.5k)

I've also seen lower offerings and higher offerings further a field.

Some require a degree, some don't... Some require X amount of experience... Some require X certs... Etc, etc, etc...

-Ken
  • Options
    felafoo wrote: »
    To be specific... a similar job I may consider has a posting like this:

Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or CIS preferred or an equivalent combination of college coursework in information technology, applicable work experience and technical certifications. Experience with back-up and storage systems, ranging from departmental-based to enterprise level including tape devices and SANs.
    DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Possess in-depth expertise for server and computer operating systems, network configurations, provider practice management systems, system back-up solutions, and technical security. Technical knowledge of current system set up in the areas of e-mail management, client configurations, desktop OS, group policies, and active directory. Ability to troubleshoot simple to complex configurations in the areas of network configurations such as DNS, DHCP, Firewall, Anti Virus, and wireless access points to include ability to troubleshoot and maintain cabling needed in the infrastructure. Working troubleshooting knowledge of peripheral configuration and maintenance such as PCs, Printers, Faxes, modems, etc. Proficiency with computer security tools and configurations. Working knowledge of remote access configurations and applications such as Citrix, VMWare and terminal Services. MCSE/MCSA/MCP (Microsoft), A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications preferred.

I'm not looking at applying now, but when I'm done with school and wanted to get a feel for it.

I currently have an associates in nursing, will be finishing my bachelor's up in a year and then will work on my associates then master's in CIS. I plan to work for the hospital I currently work for in the Northern Colorado Area.

Yes, my degrees will be unrelated... sort of, the specific area I want to go into is healthcare, perhaps my user end experience will give me perspective for the management/IT side.

Why nursing first? I like healthcare and love computing... healthcare is probably one of the few fields where an associates degree will pretty much guarantee you a starting salary of 60k+ depending on location with benefits. For now, computing is my hobby and I hope to change it to my profession, and healthcare will be my hobby.

If you are going to have a Bachelors in something, then I would just go for a MS in whatever it is; even if they are unrelated. That's number one.

Number 2, there is a very popular segment in IT right now that is specific to the healthcare industry. WGU even has a BS in that, but again, if you are close to finishing your degree, even if it's in nursing, then I would just get a MS in MIS, CIS, or what not. You don't necessarily need your undergraduate degree in CS, IT, or what have you.

In your case, you can't go wrong with either nursing or IT. Nursing is too hot of an industry on its own. I can promise you that if you start looking for a $60k job with the little experience you have, you will be very disappointed. For the skills you described, sounds like systems admin job. Yes, system admins, WITH EXPERIENCE, can make $60k, but for someone starting out, it's gonna look like $35-$45k.

"But I have a Masters...I deserve $60k..." The response to that will be, "So what, do you want a cookie?"

If I were you, I would stay with nursing until you could find a desktop support job. Get at least 3 years experience with that. Then you can gun for a job like the one you posted and perhaps get that $60k. In the meantime, you can read up and earn some IT certs, if that's what you want.
  • Options
    If you are going to have a Bachelors in something, then I would just go for a MS in whatever it is; even if they are unrelated. That's number one.

Number 2, there is a very popular segment in IT right now that is specific to the healthcare industry. WGU even has a BS in that, but again, if you are close to finishing your degree, even if it's in nursing, then I would just get a MS in MIS, CIS, or what not. You don't necessarily need your undergraduate degree in CS, IT, or what have you.

In your case, you can't go wrong with either nursing or IT. Nursing is too hot of an industry on its own. I can promise you that if you start looking for a $60k job with the little experience you have, you will be very disappointed. For the skills you described, sounds like systems admin job. Yes, system admins, WITH EXPERIENCE, can make $60k, but for someone starting out, it's gonna look like $35-$45k.

"But I have a Masters...I deserve $60k..." The response to that will be, "So what, do you want a cookie?"

If I were you, I would stay with nursing until you could find a desktop support job. Get at least 3 years experience with that. Then you can gun for a job like the one you posted and perhaps get that $60k. In the meantime, you can read up and earn some IT certs, if that's what you want.

Great post, and great advice. I can see myself doing nursing part time, IT part time until I get the needed IT experience. Really though, I am such a computer freak that I wouldn't mind making less doing something I love!
  • Options
    felafoo wrote: »
    Really though, I am such a computer freak that I wouldn't mind making less doing something I love!

(sigh...) Once upon a time, I too felt the same way. This was before dealing with PITA users/clients, office politics, managers who love to micro-manage, and many other idiosyncrasies that are in industries/shops all over. Everyone in every industry goes through that, but if you really love computers, it will most likely stop being a hobby.

Once upon a time, I would have built a PC/server from scratch. I can still do it, regardless of how new a technology is (like SATA as opposed to IDE). However, because I, for lack of a better phrase, have better ---- to do, I'll just buy one already done with the specs that I need.

No doubt nurses have their own amount of stresses though. But if you think that in IT you're gonna be playing with new ---- all day, you'll be very disappointed.
  • Options
    (sigh...) Once upon a time, I too felt the same way. This was before dealing with PITA users/clients, office politics, managers who love to micro-manage, and many other idiosyncrasies that are in industries/shops all over. Everyone in every industry goes through that, but if you really love computers, it will most likely stop being a hobby.

Once upon a time, I would have built a PC/server from scratch. I can still do it, regardless of how new a technology is (like SATA as opposed to IDE). However, because I, for lack of a better phrase, have better ---- to do, I'll just buy one already done with the specs that I need.

No doubt nurses have their own amount of stresses though. But if you think that in IT you're gonna be playing with new ---- all day, you'll be very disappointed.

Yes. Every field does have it's $hit to deal with. Though in nursing, it is literal. Wipe an adult's arse, or manage a network? Troubleshoot pc problems or troubleshoot the 32 year old drug seeking female... Part of any 'job' is attitude, and the specific company you work for. But yes, it exists in every field. I will be optimistic that my passion for all things 'computer' and a positive outlook, coupled with a great employer will work out. I am optimistic about the specific employer I want to work for...
  • Options
    iVictoriVictor Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my humble opinion, whether an employer is tough or not, it'd be your positive attitude that will get you through to where you want to be. And I am sure, in your IT journey, you are not going to always get an employer who will go easy on you & your aspirations. Not sure what you are seeking down the line 5 years in IT, but there'd be situations that will keep your boat rocking, especially when you are starting it out in IT admin / support like roles. Those are the time & spaces when you will be tested and your attitude will make all the difference.

If you love what you do, then you will get through it.
    This is the Right Time
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300

While I somewhat agree there is no reason to settle for less pay. You can find entry level jobs paying 20-30 an hour.
  • Options
    Repo Man wrote: »
    While I somewhat agree there is no reason to settle for less pay. You can find entry level jobs paying 20-30 an hour.

The only reason I can agree with that is because we're both currently employed and have been in IT for at least a few years. If we minus employment and experience from either of us, we're gonna sing quite a different tune.

Having said all of that, I'm not begruding anyone from trying to get to the high end. I just advise that one shouldn't set expectations so high that they ignore low-hanging fruit...even if that fruit is not as tasty as the high-hanging fruit.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    "So what, do you want a cookie?"

Yes, so give me my COOKIE!!!!! Oh ya, make it a snickerdoodle too.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Repo Man wrote: »

Where? Somewhere the cost of living is going to nullify any good that'll do?
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Where? Somewhere the cost of living is going to nullify any good that'll do?

You are right about the cost of living. But down here (DMV) you easily get $18-20 entry level jobs.