Options

Having A Degree From Western Governors University (WGU)

KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I am wondering from all the people on these boards that have graduated from WGU what would you say your success has been going into interviews with the WGU degree.

Did anyone seem to blow you off when they seen where you went?
Did the interviewer scoff that it might have been a worthless degree?

I am just wondering because I am going to be going back to school using WGU and it looks really good.

Admins if you feel this thread needs to be moved please do so.
Killermac :)
A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680

Comments

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I don't think the degree has really hindered me in anyway. Granted, in my interviews I've always been questioned on my past experience and my education has never really been brought up. I guess it did help in a way that my current job description did require a technical BS degree.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think in the real world, interviewers more or less glance at the education history and jump straight to the experience history as a rule of thumb.

They'll look at it, see that you have a degree listed and probably just stop there without any questions about the school.

Now don't get me wrong, everyone works differently, but with my experience in interviews lately it's been all about the previous work experience and not so much about where you got your degree from.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I think in the real world, interviewers more or less glance at the education history and jump straight to the experience history as a rule of thumb.

They'll look at it, see that you have a degree listed and probably just stop there without any questions about the school.

I think this is very true. Only in the case of Ivy league or more prestigious schools would I think things may be different. Those, I would presume get a longer glance and moved to the top of the pile (so long as there is experience attached).
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I think it'll depend somewhat on where you're located and what industries you're talking to.

In the coastal areas of the US, there are so many local B&M colleges that there tend to be more questions about online degrees in general (WGU or otherwise) from interviewers than there would be elsewhere. If you're sitting right smack dab next to some well-regarded B&M school, you might be asked why you didn't simply go there. It's human nature for most people-- look to the closest things you recognize first, whether it's the best choice or not.

Some industries are also more picky about where you get your degree-- these would usually be education, finance and medicine.

Thankfully, I hear less and less about these kinds of questions anymore, but the best way to address them is to simply have some general spiel that you chose a particular program because it was best for you in some fashion.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers