Options

Going in for second try CCENT this morning!

darkshade9darkshade9 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Feeling good about this one. Last time I took the CCENT was in December and scored a terrible 687 -- but that was without any labbing or even touching the hardware, purely reading content. Now I've labbed and am running a small network at home with 2x 2600 routers, a 3640 router and 2x 2950 switches, read Richard Deal's book, CCNA for dummies, Jeremy's CBT Nuggets and other various resources. I can subnet in my head between 30-60 seconds and am significantly more familiar with VLAN configurations.

I'm at work right now studying what I know I'm still a bit 'meh' in terms of understanding, which involves STP (I understand the concept and why we use it, it's the CLI syntaxes that I have to memorize) and ACL's (am I right to assume there will be more ACL-type stuff on the ICND2 than the ICND1?)

Any last minute tips before I go in at 9:30am EST? icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    To my recollection, the objectives of the CCENT say nothing about STP or ACLs... That is all ICND2 material. CCENT objectives cover basic switching, subnetting, a bit of wireless, RIP, TCP/IP, OSI, etc. Most of the more advanced topics (e.g. EIGRP, OSPF, STP, VTP, trunking, IPv6, ACLs, etc.) are all topics which should be worried about when attempting ICND2. I would suggest practicing your subnetting if you cannot already do it fluently, and then hit any of the topics above (for CCENT) which you do not feel comfortable with.
  • Options
    Thanks for some clarification. I'm drilling on my subnet speed right now, I'm able to calculate subnet ranges using either CIDR or standard notation in about 10 seconds for the ones I don't need to formulate and less than 30 for those that I do (going through the practice subnet questions on networking-forum.com - Practice Subnetting very quickly, even without a calculator)

I remember from my first CCENT attempt that I didn't have a whole lot of subnetting questions, in fact it had several simulator questions and since I had no experience with hands-on Cisco equipment or CLI commands, I was pretty much doomed. I've a good feeling about this test.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FWIW:
    I strongly advise you to write down the subnetting chart from /16 - /32 before you begin the test. It will be FAR easier and quicker to do subnetting with a quick glance at the chart rather than trying to figure it out during test time.icon_wink.gif

EDIT: just realized that your test is @9:30AM EST.

Either way-good luck!
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    I failed my first time around too. I just went back and studied the stuff that I didn't score well on. I just passed my second attempt yesterday. I would not worry about STP and ACLs until you get to the ICND2.

Good luck! I am sure you will be fine.
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    How did it go?

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    I failed again. I've studied since December and my network is running on Cisco hardware that I've personally set up. My subnetting was pristine, my command knowledge of where I need to find information was complete and I cannot understand or fathom where I possibly missed more than 6 questions, if that. I nailed the simulation questions, anything regarding a [edited for: unsure if giving too much away] was easily resolved and I'm at a total loss. I really feel like throwing in the towel as there's no possible way I scored what I did with the knowledge that I have. I am so disappointed with the Cisco test right now, I don't feel it reflects the amount of knowledge I've gained over the past year and puts it to the test.
  • Options
    Were you closer this time?
  • Options
    Yes, but not by much. First score as above was 687 in December, this time was a 737. I swear by the way I was answering the questions and how clear-cut the answers were, I would have bet I had at least a score of the mid 800's or better. Plus I swear it was the same exact test I took in December, just rearranged the questions. The simulation test was identical, I know that for sure.
  • Options
    Heya darkshade9,

What study plan have you been following? i.e. time spent per day, reading a chapter of the book, re-reading your notes then taking an end of chapter quiz/test...

It sounds like you've been reading full CCNA books with the aim of taking ICND1 then ICND2 immediately afterward? You mentioned when you started this thread that you'd been working on ACL's and STP, both of which are covered in ICND2

I'll be taking the ICND1 in the few weeks so I'm no expert, but I have done a ton of study in the past and I'm wondering whether you might have spread yourself too thin over all the content. Perhaps using an ICND1 book for the ICND1 exam then an ICND2 book for the ICND 2 exam would be an option for you.

Don't give up.

It's just time to slap yourself on the face and re-focus.

I assume you know your areas of weakness from the exam results. Use those to help you.

...Just my two cents, but maybe try to hone in on the ICND1 content solely.

Cheers.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Don't give up! You've come this far! You can do it.. like someone above said, are you studying for the CCNA as a whole, or just ICND1? If you're studying it all, but not passing ICND1, then I would back off on the second half material for now and zone in on the first half. For the CCENT, if you have subnetting down, then that's practically half the battle.

A common approach to this is looking at each section of the book, i.e. topics, and rate your understanding on each one (from 1-10 or 1-5 etc). Be honest!! Then hit those areas you're struggling with. And you gotta do labs! I don't care how well you can read and pick it up. Do you have packet tracer or any other simulator? Also, make your own flashcards for all the key points. If you run through your flashcards a couple times a day, and do a couple labs a day, you'll be well on your way icon_thumright.gif
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    jonragejonrage Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    don't give up!! it's easy to quit. you're not doing this because it's easy. we all do this to push and challenge ourselves to accomplish more. even champions lose fights. we're all soldiers in this war against the exams, and sometimes you get wounded, but you gotta keep moving.

best thing to do is hit those books immediately; don't wait. i know mentally and emotionally it might be hard to focus on studying right now, but while everything is still fresh in your mind, focus on areas you need to improve on. get right back on track and make this experience work to your advantage. you can do this!
  • Options
    I appreciate the encouragement. I nearly just tossed everything on eBay (in fact I tossed my CCNA books in the trash when I came home) and was going to go another technical route. I was pretty put off due to the fact it's an entry-level exam and I couldn't even get near the minimal passing grade.

To answer some questions, I work helpdesk for a major health network here in Dayton Ohio and I sometimes have plenty of time between calls to work on subnetting quizzes, read and highlight parts in my CCNA books, and when I get home I have my own routers/switches as well as Packet Tracer to play with. In fact I had just bid on an NM-8A/S to create a frame relay switch on eBay before all this occurred.

According to the exam notes, here's my scores in all areas:

Operations: 79%
    Implement small switched network: 67%
    IP addressing schemes: 56%
    Implement small routed network: 47%
    Admin tasks for WLAN: 67%
    Security threats: 100%
    WAN links: 33%

I compared these results with the one I took in December, I did better in all areas except IP addressing and WAN links (somehow I got 100% on WAN links on the last one?)

December score: 687
    July score: 737
    August score: ???

At this rate I should have it by test four? icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit: Looking back on these scores I kind of feel like a dumba$$. How could I possibly have felt prepared and then scored like that? I wasn't even close on most areas.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Naw, the pass should be on the third test. I think you just need to spend more time on the weaker areas and go in when you are more ready for the test. I can understand the pressure of the test. Don't give it up but don't just take tests because you're letting money go on expensive practice tests. I suggest taking two more months before you retest because you are 100 points from making sure you can pass the min score safely. I think that you can do it because your scores keep raising but like I told you before, don't throw money at the tests because it's a waste.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you 95-100% sure you got the answer right because it matched what you read in a book?

Or are you because you know because you performed it on a router with a scenario you have set up?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    mukITmukIT Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aaron (darkshade) is that you? if so we work together..
    A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Don't give up! Keep studying! Keep labbing! Use real world scenarios! Keep pushing and you'll get it. NEVER give up and you WILL succeed.

Something only becomes a lost cause when someone gives up.....don't be that guy :)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    hello darkshade,
    Don't give up,you will definitely get it.Most people don't get it the first or second time,try and study hard on those topics you got low marks on.Since you are good in subnetting, try to know your show commands very well.You will definitely nail it the third time.
  • Options
    Third time is a charm.... PASSED on 8/3 with a score of 850 icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    You did it!!!! CONGRATS!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • Options
    mukITmukIT Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cangrats man!!!!icon_lol.gif
    A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats!!! Now let's party icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I'm pretty stoked... I'm going to complete my A+ and Net+ certs while studying and labbing for the ICND2 to buff up the resume a bit. Anyone here able to give some insight as to the relative difficulty of the ICND2 as opposed to the ICND1? I realize it's a different focus and subject matter, but I'm wondering if I'll know when I'm ready for it or not. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkshade9 wrote: »
    Third time is a charm.... PASSED on 8/3 with a score of 850 icon_cheers.gif
    Congrat!!! Partying week and Get back studying next week at the last.
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    Howling MonkeyHowling Monkey Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That’s why you stick with it and don't quite. Once you pass, you forget all about the first two test. I think you fact you are willing to stick with it, after falling short the first two tries says something about your character.

"Never die easy" - Walter Payton
    This is the end and the beginning
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    darkshade9 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty stoked... I'm going to complete my A+ and Net+ certs while studying and labbing for the ICND2 to buff up the resume a bit. Anyone here able to give some insight as to the relative difficulty of the ICND2 as opposed to the ICND1? I realize it's a different focus and subject matter, but I'm wondering if I'll know when I'm ready for it or not. icon_study.gif

Why even bother with Network+ now? I'd say it's a waste of money at this point.
  • Options
    jonragejonrage Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good to hear you passed man. congrats man!
  • Options
    Howling MonkeyHowling Monkey Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SdotLow wrote: »
    Why even bother with Network+ now? I'd say it's a waste of money at this point.

I agree, why go backwards.
    This is the end and the beginning
  • Options
    Good job on the pass, just gotta stick with it.
  • Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Positive thoughts lead to positive results! icon_cheers.gif