Options

Server 2k3 file share question

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi People just added a file server role to my server, and I am trying to access the share from another computer, I have set the permissions of the share to be accessed by everyone. When I try and access the share from a Windows XP box I am being greeted with a username credentials box? The Server is setup as a DC, does the Windows XP machine have to have username and password in Active directory setup to access the share or can I just openly access the share without adding the machine to the domain.

What I am trying to do is access the shares without having the computers be members of the Domain is this possible or am I confusing things here?

Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    You are being prompted because the computer is not a member of the domain.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    So the computer has to be a member or the domain? that doesn't make any sense though because we have another file setup here based on SME server, I can access the file shares using any computer by using my credentials but the computers I am using to access the shares are not members of a domain they are on a workgroup.

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You are being prompted because the computer isn't a member of the domain. You should be able to supply your login credentials domain\username along with password and access the share.

If the computer was a member of the domain and you are logged on with domain credentials, you wouldn't be prompted. If you were logged on with a local user account, you would still get prompted even though the computer is a member of the domain.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    ally_uk wrote: »
    So the computer has to be a member or the domain? that doesn't make any sense though because we have another file setup here based on SME server, I can access the file shares using any computer by using my credentials but the computers I am using to access the shares are not members of a domain they are on a workgroup.

From this, I would assume they still need at least a domain users credentials to access it.

If the workstation was on the domain, and you were logged in with a domain user, you wouldn't need ot enter credentials.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The "Everyone" permission means every authenticated user; it does not include anonymous access. So anyone can access, but they still need to give the server some credentials (any valid domain credentials will work).

In your other example, you probably were using a user ID on the local machine that existed on the remote system with the same password. If you're doing that, it will just pass you through and not prompt you if that user has permissions.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Thank you, I have decided to run the server without it being connected to our network but I need a few things clearing up to get my head around the confusion.

Firstly I have the server Dell poweredge 800, It is connected to a switch Netgear 24 port jobby, I have configured a static IP Address, but where it isn't connected to a router I haven't configured a default gateway. ( as it is separate from the network there is no internet) Will I still be able to experiment and setup a DC and add machines?

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Thank you, I have decided to run the server without it being connected to our network but I need a few things clearing up to get my head around the confusion.

Firstly I have the server Dell poweredge 800, It is connected to a switch Netgear 24 port jobby, I have configured a static IP Address, but where it isn't connected to a router I haven't configured a default gateway. ( as it is separate from the network there is no internet) Will I still be able to experiment and setup a DC and add machines?

Yes. The server will need to be configured as a DHCP server or the other systems on your lab network will also need to have static IPs. A DFG is only important if network traffic needs to be routed to other networks.