If you could only get one certification which would it be?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I just wanted to get some opinion and have a little fun :) Yeah I know I am boring :)

Here are a couple I thought about.

CCNA
Windows 7
CISSP
PMP

I left ITIL V3 expert off because it requires several test. I also didn't go to deep into Microsoft because those usually require several exams as well.

I don't know enough about the storage certifications or the security ones other than the CISSP to comment. I am very interesting to see some answers.

So........ Which certification would it be?

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCIE Security, Voice, or Storage Networking
    Not sure yet
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it was just working toward one certification I would say GSE, but if it was only one certification I would say CCIE Security or R&S.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a feeling the CCIE is going to win this contest :)

My vote will go towards the PMP. A lot of the jobs I like have this a requirement or at least a favorable.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    CISSP or C|EH
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know CCIE is out of the question for me...even though it still brings a six-figure salary. The amount of work for one cert just isn't worth it for me. For that, I'd rather work on a Ph.D. LMAO.

(I don't knock folks for working on the CCIE...it is always a cert I have nothing but respect for...I just know it isn't for me.)

Based on the the choices presented, I would opt for the PMP.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Cisco Certified Architect hands down
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wouldn't CCIE be disqualified since you need other certs first? With that CISSP would be it for me, although that Lego certain looks like fun...
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Certified Best Boyfriend And All Around Good Guy. :)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    eansdad wrote: »
    Wouldn't CCIE be disqualified since you need other certs first?

You can get your IE without getting any other Cisco certification
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Cisco Certified Architect for sure. Your basically the networking god if you get that.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    As previously stated, Cisco Certified Architect. Everything else pales in comparison.

What isn't fair though, is that we're considering certifications that require experience to get (PMP, CISSP, CCAr), along with ones that don't have experience requirements.

With that said, if I looked at ones that didn't require experience as a prerequisite, then CCIE would be it for me.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    CCIE and that is why I am willing to spend 2yrs of my life getting it.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I have a feeling the CCIE is going to win this contest :)

Definitely. It's just a question of which one.

CCIE Security for me.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Microsoft Certified Master : Active Directory for me, since I am a Systems guy.

If I were into networking, it'd be the CCIE: R&S for sure.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Essendon wrote: »
    Microsoft Certified Master : Active Directory for me, since I am a Systems guy.

If I were into networking, it'd be the CCIE: R&S for sure.

MCM is way to expensive for my liking but if someone else is paying icon_rolleyes.gif
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    CCDE is a pre-req for the CCAr Just throwing that out there icon_smile.gif

CCIE Sec or Wireless or CWNE.. One of those 3 tough call..
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCIE - enough said
    :study: Life+
    pzero wrote: »
    MCM is way to expensive for my liking but if someone else is paying icon_rolleyes.gif

Agreed here, at $18,500 the program is probably out of reach of most folks, the price is just absurd to say the least. They are going to have to bring the price down to get more people hooked.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Essendon wrote: »
    Agreed here, at $18,500 the program is probably out of reach of most folks, the price is just absurd to say the least. They are going to have to bring the price down to get more people hooked.

Why stop there? Go full bore and pick your one certification as Microsoft Certified Architect. :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote: »
    Why stop there? Go full bore and pick your one certification as Microsoft Certified Architect. :)

I'll need to pull off a heist to hand over $18,500 (for the MCM) and a paltry $7,500 to appear before the MCA Review Board, not to mention the travel to and accommodation at Redmond. icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Systems: MCM or RHCA
    Networking: CCIE or JNCIE
    Security: GSE, CISSP
    Virtualization: VCP. VCAP

Truthfully, whichever tne gets the most money at the given time in whatever field I am in at the time I acquire it.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well CCIE or may be on a lower side i could settle in with a CCSP :)
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, on my short list is PMP, VCP and MCM Exchange 2010. I was hoping to do CCIE Security, but the MCM replaced that with priority changes.

Of all of those, I think the PMP. At this point in my career, I think it helps to legitimize me working on larger projects as the lead and can help to position me for a management position as this may be my only option to keep my salary moving, sooner or later. I think that PMP+MCM would be great as well, because I could fly around doing Exchange deployments, or being an advisor on others' deployments either on-site or remote.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pzero wrote: »

Microsoft is gradually migrating the MCM tracks to be just like the CCIE. Instead of going to three weeks of training and doing three written exams and a lab, one will only have to do a written exam (~$500) and a lab (~$1200). They did this with the MCM SQL Server early this year and they just did this with the MCM Exchange last month. I am waiting for third-party training to become available, but I am already working on the recommended reading list while I prepare for the 662 exam.

EDIT: The training is still offered, and yes it is very expensive. I may try and talk my employer into sending me there. If you work for a consulting company, you can use it as a marketing tool. Microsoft lists the MCM and MCA folks on their website with their company name.

That being said, the total cost is probably closer to $40k, depending on where you are coming in from, because you have the $18k course, flight, hotel, food, and the cost of either not being paid, using vacation time, or getting paid by your employer but not generating revenue.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My one cert would depend on my job specialty (this is similar to Bl8ck's list):

Security: CISSP-ISSEP (if you could bypass the main CISSP and get both icon_lol.gif) or GSE
    Wireless: CWNE
    Routing/Switching: CCIE
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm going to be alittle different and go for CCNP.

I don't feel that I need to be at the CCIE status. I'm not saying that I'm limiting myself but I just honestly don't really see a need for me to go after it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to be alittle different and go for CCNP.

I don't feel that I need to be at the CCIE status. I'm not saying that I'm limiting myself but I just honestly don't really see a need for me to go after it.

I'm the same, CCNP/CCIP are my medium term goals - my attitude may change but looking at the effort involved I honestly don't know if I could commit to CCIE
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    BrizoH wrote: »
    I'm the same, CCNP/CCIP are my medium term goals - my attitude may change but looking at the effort involved I honestly don't know if I could commit to CCIE

I feel the same way right now. It could change after I get the CCNP or I might get the same level of certification through Juniper.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****