Options

Having an Issue with connecting a Virtual Machine Windows 7 to Windows Server 2008

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
So here goes. I am trying to connect a virtual machine Windows 7 machine to a virtual machine Windows Server 2008 machine. I want to be able to connect it to the domain I have made.

Problems thus far:

- When I enter the Domain name in the Domain box of the Windows 7 machine, it does not connect.

Statements:

Both machines have bridged connections and are connected to the host machine. They both have internet connection. They can both ping each other, but the Windows 7 machine cannot connect to the Windows Server 2008 Machine and be put as a domain.

Comments

• Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds like a DNS issue, do you have the IP of the Server VM entered as one of the DNS servers on your Windows 7 VM?
  • Options
    exampasser wrote: »
    It sounds like a DNS issue, do you have the IP of the Server VM entered as one of the DNS servers on your Windows 7 VM?

How would i do that? I am new to setting up domains.
  • Options
    Armymanis wrote: »
    How would i do that? I am new to setting up domains.
    On the Windows 7 VM go to control panel, network and sharing center, change adapter settings, right-click the adapter and select properties.

From the properties window select Internet protocol version 4 and click on properties. From there simply add the IP address of the Server VM under the DNS section.
  • Options
    On the Windows 7 VM go to control panel, network and sharing center, change adapter settings, right-click the adapter and select properties.

From the properties window select Internet protocol version 4 and click on properties. From there simply add the IP address of the Server VM under the DNS section.

how do i know which ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway to use? I am confused.
  • Options
    how do i know which ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway to use? I am confused.

All you need to worry about is the'Use the following DNS server addresses:" section. To find out the IP address of the server, on the server open a command prompt and type "ipconfig".
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just like exampasser said, you have a DNS issue. Do this:

1. Set both VM's to use the local connection, or private connection or whatever the right term is. When you set the NIC to bridged you have your ADSL modem/router handing out IP addresses since it functions as a DHCP server. You only set a VM to bridged NIC's if you want the machine to have an Internet connection. For most labs and atleast when you are just starting out, just set them to local NIC's and you'l be fine.

exampasser wrote:

Follow this to the word and set the server to 10.0.0.2 and the Win7 VM to 10.0.0.3. This way you have the VM's on the same subnet and you will not have any issues with DNS.

3. Remember to disable VMware's own DNS, DHCP and NAT services to avoid problems down the road.

Hope this helps!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    All you need to worry about is the'Use the following DNS server addresses:" section. To find out the IP address of the server, on the server open a command prompt and type "ipconfig".

I've got the IP and I cannot enter the DNS server address. It still says no static IP address found on this computer, even though I have used the static IP address.
  • Options
    Remembered the name of the setting, check out the attached picture. Set the NIC's to host-only.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    i am trying to do this in virtual box by the way.
  • Options
    I have never seen VirtualBox, but I just Googled "virtualbox networking" and the first page that showed up is here. Set the VM's to Host-only networking and you'll be good.

Not being a prick, I know you are learning and just starting out, but remember to use Google first before asking on here. You'll learn more, I did. We'll tell the solution, but if you Google around, you'll learn of what other people did, how they goofed up and then set it right.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Here is a screenshot that I took in VirtualBox for selecting host-only:
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    Essendon wrote: »
    Not being a prick, I know you are learning and just starting out, but remember to use Google first before asking on here. You'll learn more, I did. We'll tell the solution, but if you Google around, you'll learn of what other people did, how they goofed up and then set it right.

The further you get into your tech career, the more this will ring true. If you get lucky like me, you'll run into obscure problems with difficult and outdated hardware/software. Novell will surely be the death of me.

Issues that need quick and effective solutions require "Google-fu", the ability to scour pages and pages of text, documentation, forums and to piece together those desperately needed answers.

What Essendon means, is that it is an absolutely essential skill, and hes trying to politely help you develop it :)
  • Options
    Just to reiterate what mattlee09 just said, Google has been my rescuer on more occasions than I've had a hot dinner, so to speak.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    I have never seen VirtualBox, but I just Googled "virtualbox networking" and the first page that showed up is here. Set the VM's to Host-only networking and you'll be good.

Just to let you know the Host-Only setting did not work.
  • Options
    Can I recommend something to you? If I were you, I'd use VirtualPC or VMware Server 2.0 for my lab. When you go for your next interview and you say you have some experience with VMware, it'll stand you in good stead than VirtualBox. In addition, there are more people around here that are more familiar with VMware/VirtualPC than VirtualBox.

Sorry I cant help with the specifics of VirtualBox, but perhaps you can tell me what error are you getting now?

Here are some links that might help ya -

http://www.techexams.net/forums/70-290-server/55495-sun-virtualbox-virtual-labs.html
    Setup Windows Domain in VirtualBox (View topic) • virtualbox.org
    Setting up a virtual network?? Please help (View topic) • virtualbox.org
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Let's try this again.

do an ipconfig/all on the Windows 7 machine.
    do an ipconfig/all on the Server 2008 machine
    post the output from both commands on here

Then, we'll go from there
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You'll also want to check your firewall settings on the machines to make sure they aren't blocking each other. Did your dcpromo of the server 2008 machine go ok? Is it pointing to itself for DNS? If they're able to ping each other then it doesn't sound like it is a problem with the virtualbox setup.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Can I recommend something to you? If I were you, I'd use VirtualPC or VMware Server 2.0 for my lab. When you go for your next interview and you say you have some experience with VMware, it'll stand you in good stead than VirtualBox. In addition, there are more people around here that are more familiar with VMware/VirtualPC than VirtualBox.

I agree with this I this is why always recommend that if you have the time learn the basics of ESX/Hyper-V/Xen. Even a little knowledge in any of those can give you an edge when job hunting.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    You'll also want to check your firewall settings on the machines to make sure they aren't blocking each other. Did your dcpromo of the server 2008 machine go ok? Is it pointing to itself for DNS? If they're able to ping each other then it doesn't sound like it is a problem with the virtualbox setup.

i know it is not a problem with my virtualbox setup. Both machines are able to ping each other, but i cannot join windows 7 to a domain.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i know it is not a problem with my virtualbox setup. Both machines are able to ping each other, but i cannot join windows 7 to a domain.

I'll be the bad guy.

You need to answer his questions directly instead of inferring when going through these troubleshooting steps.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    I'll be the bad guy too. Armymanis, mate you need to atleast follow what we're saying. Have you done any of what we have suggested? We are trying to help you but you got to tell us if you have done any troubleshooting yourself or are just waiting for a genie to appear from somewhere and fix things for you.

Windows Firewall?
    ipconfig/all on both machines?

C'mon man, cant be that hard to follow instructions.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, do Start > Run > cmd > "ipconfig /all" and paste the output here. Also, tell us what edition of Windows 7 you are using. I believe only certain editions can be joined to a domain (I think only Pro / Ultimate / Enterprise).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Also, tell us what edition of Windows 7 you are using. I believe only certain editions can be joined to a domain (I think only Pro / Ultimate / Enterprise).

There's a good chance this could be problem. Good thinking Moose!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..