Options

Do People Refer to switch as router?

choobysoochoobysoo Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm reading Wendell Odom, and on chapter 9 where he's explaining about the crypto key, he refer to it as being in the switch. The crypto key generate rsa is only found in the router that I use in the Packet Tracer. Routers and switches are not the same thing unless it is an error, otherwise I don't get it. Anybody can clarify this for me?

Comments

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    you can do that command on a switch, so...
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    choobysoo wrote: »
    I'm reading Wendell Odom, and on chapter 9 where he's explaining about the crypto key, he refer to it as being in the switch. The crypto key generate rsa is only found in the router that I use in the Packet Tracer. Routers and switches are not the same thing unless it is an error, otherwise I don't get it. Anybody can clarify this for me?

More expensive/fully-featured switches (referred to as layer-3 switches) can perform the functions of a router.

The exact feature-set of the particular router/switch always depends on the model and version of IOS.

You'll notice that as you continue your studies further, certain things that weren't possible before will now be an option, and certain conventions you have learned aren't quite true. This is done to limit the scope of each particular exam and the different levels of knowledge (Associate, Professional, Expert, etc.)

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/47445-crypto-key-generate-rsa-error.html

Edit - To add, when using Packet Tracer this should be something that you are careful of moving forward, as it can never fully match up to a live piece of hardware. It is a remarkable program/simulator though.
  • Options
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    More expensive/fully-featured switches (referred to as layer-3 switches) can perform the functions of a router.

The exact feature-set of the particular router/switch always depends on the model and version of IOS.

You'll notice that as you continue your studies further, certain things that weren't possible before will now be an option, and certain conventions you have learned aren't quite true. This is done to limit the scope of each particular exam and the different levels of knowledge (Associate, Professional, Expert, etc.)

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/47445-crypto-key-generate-rsa-error.html

Edit - To add, when using Packet Tracer this should be something that you are careful of moving forward, as it can never fully match up to a live piece of hardware. It is a remarkable program/simulator though.

Thank you for clarifying this. I've read about Layer 3 switches but totally ignored it when I post this thread.
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Yes,you can use the command on switches too,its a command you typed on either your switch or router if you want to secure your network through the use of secure shell which is an encrypted form of telnet.Telnet is not encrypted is a clear text while ssh is encrypted.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mattlee09 wrote: »

It doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not the switch is layer 3 capable. 2950's, which are not, can use ssh if you use the right IOS image. Generally speaking, you need a crypto capable image in order to do ssh, which if you think about it, kind of makes sense :)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not the switch is layer 3 capable. 2950's, which are not, can use ssh if you use the right IOS image. Generally speaking, you need a crypto capable image in order to do ssh, which if you think about it, kind of makes sense :)

I discovered this during early in my CCENT studies. I was racking my brain on why I couldn't generate crypto keys on my 2950s. Did a little research and understood the differences between the Standard and Enhanced images. Upgraded to the Enhanced Image and was able to generate crypto keys.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I discovered this during early in my CCENT studies. I was racking my brain on why I couldn't generate crypto keys on my 2950s. Did a little research and understood the differences between the Standard and Enhanced images. Upgraded to the Enhanced Image and was able to generate crypto keys.

It's not really a Standard versus Enhanced thing, it's just whether or not the image supports crypto (k9 in the filename).
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ColbyG wrote: »
    It's not really a Standard versus Enhanced thing, it's just whether or not the image supports crypto (k9 in the filename).

Well I'll be damned, long time no see Colby!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And if you check out this document, there's not really a whole lot of difference between the SI and EI models with with the latest IOS images.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Well I'll be damned, long time no see Colby!

Hahah. How goes it?

/hijack
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Some books also define like that:

layer 3 switches ( routers ) .......
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Yea, I ran into the same problem when I got to the SSH config using a simulator.

That was the point where I threw it to the side and got some gear from ebay. Nothing against simulators in general - they're great if that's all you have access to. But nothing beats the real thing.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    I have a RSW2016 and a 2950 switch. Although I have the DB9 connector but I don't have a DB9 connector on my computer. I saw on ebay there's a DB9 to USB and DB9 to RJ45. I'm thinking of getting DB9 to USB, but can I use DB9 to RJ45? Please help i'm very noob at this. :[
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Yea, I ran into the same problem when I got to the SSH config using a simulator.

That was the point where I threw it to the side and got some gear from ebay. Nothing against simulators in general - they're great if that's all you have access to. But nothing beats the real thing.
  • Options
    tex3030tex3030 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The DB9 to RJ-45 is likely the console cable. Your best bet will be to either get the serial to USB connection, or add a serial port to your computer.

If you have an easy way of adding a serial port that would probably be the best way to go. If using putty with my USB to serial cable I lose connection after a while, however teraterm works just fine.