Options

Setting up lab to test 70-270 skills

I'm setting up a Win2K server to test what I'm learning and I wanted to know if this server can be not only a domain controller, but DNS, RRAS, etc.

I want to have a basic lab consisting of one server and a client so I can test what I'm learning. Does anyone use a similar setup? Will I get by with just 2 machines?

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    The answer, yes. I also run just two machines, physically. I'm designing a bigger scenario using VirtualPC. But to start, I made one system, DC, DHCP, DNS, RRAS, TS, FS, all sorts of good stuff. Obviously, the more machines the better, mainly because you don't have the virtual configuration. But, you should be okay.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Thanks, and thanks. :)

Sounds good. What do you think about using a router to connect both machines to?

Or would you just connect the DSL line to the server, set it up as a router using RRAS and connect the client directly to the 2nd NIC on the server?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'm cheap. I'm running a crossover cable between the two. Eventualy, I will work in routers and whatnot. For net access, I have 2nd Nic in my non-lab PC I can use...
    i remain, he who remains to be....