Options

Will the help desk experience matter?

yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am find it difficult to find a job as Junior Admin or anything to do with network, they usually have a requirement of experience. so i am thinking of starting as a Help Desk employee, my eventual goal is to be a Network Admin,

so will my Help Desk experience will count as a IT [ relevant] experience when later i will look for an Network Admin position?

Thanks in advance:)
“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”

Comments

• Options
    LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, it is IT experience but it depends on what you do at the Help Desk.

What is your background?
  • Options
    yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LoMo wrote: »
    Well, it is IT experience but it depends on what you do at the Help Desk.

What is your background?

I just got my certifications and have no work experience, the kind of help desk i came across was this,

1. Answering calls from end users

2. Creation of Ticket and Routing

3. Password Resets

4. Providing status check of tickets to users.

5. Follow-up with support teams to ensure user is recipient of the required service
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • Options
    xxxooxxxxxxooxxx Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is your definition of Network Admins?
    Routers, switches, firewalls?
    Servers, Email, Databases?

I would say help desk helps, if you are looking at managing servers down the road. A lot of knowledge gained through managing desktops will carry over to servers. For example, assigning a static IP requires the exact same steps in both.

To manage network devices, you will be better off looking for a entry level networking job. Even something as simple as cable management for switches would count as IT networking experience when you are ready for advancement.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    You've got some nice high level certs for not having any real world experience.

Sometimes it really makes me wonder how people do this. Their brains must be a sponge and remember everything they ever lab, I'm jealous.

I've worked with Exchange for a year and a half but don't think I have hardly scratched the surface of it and some things I've done only once I have to research how to do it again. Let alone know enough to take an exam and pass even after some moderate studying.

Start at a help desk. If you prove yourself and continue watching for better opportunites, they will come and allow you to move up.
  • Options
    kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends what you've actually done in the role and how well you can spin it on your resume/at interview.

Based on what you mentioned, you probably dont have the experience for a sys admin role - when you have some down time at work, shadow the people who are doing more advanced stuff than you - ask them if they need a hand with anything.
    2011 Goals: 70-433 | 70-432
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am find it difficult to find a job as Junior Admin or anything to do with network, they usually have a requirement of experience. so i am thinking of starting as a Help Desk employee, my eventual goal is to be a Network Admin,

so will my Help Desk experience will count as a IT [ relevant] experience when later i will look for an Network Admin position?

Thanks in advance:)

Yeah that is a sticky situation. It depends on what you do, but I can tell you this, sitting around not working sure the heck isn't going to help.

I would say yes without knowing the situation, but like others have eluded too, it depends on the help desk and what your responsibilities are.