OSI MODEL AND RAID

GR8BA55GR8BA55 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone let me know if there are many questions on the OSI model or on RAID! I find these topics really difficult to remember! And these are the topics i'm worried about the most!

THANX ALL!!!!!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hopefully others (A+ certified) can confirm this, but I don't think the OSI model is a topic for the A+ exam.

As for RAID, if you read and understand the RAID section in www.techexams.net/technotes/apluscore/ide.shtml
    I think you won't have any problems answering RAID related questions.
  • jheal00jheal00 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You won't have to worry about any OSI related questions on either of the A+ tests. However, RAID is a topic. I think they are only concerned that you know levels 0,1 and 5. I would follow the advice of the Webmaster and review his TechNotes link and you will be good to go.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    You should take a good look at the objectives.
    http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/2003_aplus_core_hardware_objectives.pdf

OSI is not mentioned under basic networking domain. RAID lists types 0, 1, & 5.

0 is striping w/o parity. If one drive goes, you loose all data. The only hint of redundancy is that each drive is being written to less and this should reduce wear and hence give longer service and thereby have a small chance of preserving data.

1 is mirroring drives. More expensive because it takes twice the number of drives. If a drive goes, you still have all data on the other mirror. You can rebuild from the good mirror.

5 is striping with parity. Economical compared with RAID 1. If one drive goes, a new drive is rebuilt from remaining data.

RAID is the big subject in Server+ because this is generally quite expensive to buy and is used as storage in large network systems, but you need to know the basics behind the different types of RAID for A+. I don't recall any OSI questions on my A+. Although, you may get an answer with OSI in it--as a wrong answer to a question, maybe.

I know it's a lot of memorization, but most entry-level techs don't deal with RAID arrays and have to learn it by reading about it. But RAID is becoming cheaper, drives and controllers, so we may say more of this in the home PC.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • ja5983ja5983 Member Posts: 129
    no osi at all, Raid 0,1,5 MAYBE, i didnt have any at all but remember reading abou tit in the books that i used to study
    Josh
    A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, TICSA, CCNA, MCSA, AS Network Engineering