quick question

ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
I have 2620xm's in my home lab. I am trying to connect the gig ports of my switch to the router's fa0/0 port but it does not work. When I connect it to a gig NIC it works fine. Can this port not run at gig speed? I don't think I can scale it back since it is the gi0/2 port on the switch.

Comments

• luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi-
    what make/model switch are you using? you are correct, the 2620 fastEthernet port cannot run at gigabit speeds. when you connect a PC NIC to the fastEthernet port, the NIC is probably negotiating to 100mbps and that's why it's working.

also, how is the switch port configured?

hope this helps. icon_cool.gif
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    The pc I plugged it into has a gigabit NIC inside. I have the default settings for the interface on. I believe it is set to auto. Not a big deal just wonder why it is only a 10/100 interface.

Just thinking that if you had this router in your building and using it as your main connection point you would be greatly bottlenecked at this point.

The switch is a 2950
    One more question if I may. icon_lol.gif

I am currently working on the ICND2 and I am using cisco press books and Chris Bryant's training material... I have come across Router On A Stick within Chris Bryant's content. There is no mention of it in the cisco press books nor on Cisco's website in the blueprint section for the exam.

Can somebody please let me know if this is something that is on this exam? If not I will skip over and I am sure I will run across it in my CCNP studies. I just want to focus on the exam that is right in front of me, if you know what I mean.
  • IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, Router on a Stick is with ICND2 (I've been studying it anyway). Maybe in some material they do not call it that, but perhaps InterVLAN routing is mentioned? It's the only way you can route between different VLANS at this level.

L3 routing with a switch will be used with CCNP studies.

This is what the Cisco Blue Print says:

"Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interVLAN routing"
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Shanman wrote: »
    Not a big deal just wonder why it is only a 10/100 interface.

Because it's old.
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    hi,
    I believe you should try to read and understand what a router on a stick is,who knows,question may ask on it.It is just a better and cost effective way than using router with a lot of interfaces for Vlan communication, though it has its disadvantages too
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Shanman wrote: »
    The pc I plugged it into has a gigabit NIC inside. I have the default settings for the interface on. I believe it is set to auto. Not a big deal just wonder why it is only a 10/100 interface.

Because it's a FastEthernet port. By definition, that's 10/100 (802.3u). Ethernet is 10 (802.3i). GigabitEthernet is 10/100/1000 (802.3z, or 802.3ab, depending on whether it's fiber or copper, respectively).

Cisco access level routers did not commonly support gigabit ethernet ports until the ISR G2's came out. Access routers that are pretty darn close to 10 years old certainly do not.

And the dirty little secret is that even if the 2600XM had gige ports, you still couldn't get gige speeds out of it, the processor is too weak to handle it.
    Thank you everybody for clearing that up for me. That was a piece of cake!! I just read the theory and configured it off the top of my head!!

Next :D:D:D