CUCMBE in VMware troubles

Hey TE,

Has anyone been successful in running CUCMBE or even CUC for that matter in VMWare? I've been able to install CUCM without issues and am labbing things up using the demo licenses, but I'm screwed when it comes to voicemail since I can't get CUCMBE or CUC working for the life of me. My CCO is tied to a Cisco partner, I just can't find a working image.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• FatbunnyFatbunny Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was able to install CUC 7.0 in VMWare ESXi 4.1.0. Having said that, I just logged in and logged off and haven't looked at it since. What versions of CUC and VMware are you using?
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Using VMWare workstation 7 (I think) and CUC7.0 download from cisco.com. It came in two parts, and I combined them using COPY /B "file1"+"file2" CUC7.0. Also checked the md5 hash and the downloads are both good. Ran media test and it passed. I allocated 6GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. It will run for about 40-50 minutes, then fail unrecoverably.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not sure about Business Edition, but I have full CUCM 7.x and 8.x clusters running with CUC all w/demo licenses in VMWare Workstation (need Windows on the host machine for other functions).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    I have to be missing something. I can get CUCM 7.x or 8.x without any issues, it's just CUC. Pitviper, how did you configure your CUC VM as far as hardware was concerned?
    Pretty basic VM setup - 72GB Hard drive, 2GB RAM, Red Hat Enterprise (32-bit), SCSI disks for 7.x. For 8.x, I did the same with some additional HDD space. Sounds like it could be a host hardware issue though - Are you using AMD CPUs?
    Agent6376 wrote: »
    I am =\

Hmm, check around - I know there are a few known issues with 7.x and VMWare Workstation/AMD combo. Can you get a hold of CUCM/CUC 8.x? Might be less of a headache... Also make sure that you're running the latest build of VMWare Workstation.
    I can get CUCM 8.x, but I can't find CUC8.x anywhere on the Cisco site. I'll check with our local Cisco rep to see if I can get a demo. Thanks for the advice =D
    I can get CUCM 8.x, but I can't find CUC8.x anywhere on the Cisco site. I'll check with our local Cisco rep to see if I can get a demo. Thanks for the advice =D

Should be on the same installation DVD - As long as you allocate enough RAM and HDD space for CUC, you should see these options (from 8.0.3):

cucm8.jpg

That being said, I've never had much luck downloading the software from Cisco - Always have had to phone a rep/friend for the media.
    That's what I thought! I even went as far as using the .OVA virtual template file from cisco.com but I don't see those options. When I go through the setup, it just says "The Unified Communications Manager Suite will be installed."
    That's what I thought! I even went as far as using the .OVA virtual template file from cisco.com but I don't see those options. When I go through the setup, it just says "The Unified Communications Manager Suite will be installed."

Must be different than the media kit that ships with the servers/NFR demo kits.
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    I have it running on both AMD and INTEL via workstation ...

100gig
    2 gig ram
    1 cpu (2 cores)
    ... try that. but i can confirm it does work.
    You have CUCMBE running on AMD? or CUC separately?
    I tried installing CUCMBE on 7.0 and here's what I got:

2yy9mxw.png

These are the settings I have applied to the VM

x5pgde.png

Brutal...
  • FatbunnyFatbunny Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also have CUCM7 on an AMD CPU (haven't tried CUC on it though), however I did run through the setup on an intel platform (while in work) and copied the VM over to the AMD system (at home). Seems to be fine. Might be worth a try.
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    AMD systems
    1 cpu - 6 gig ram - 300 gig hd
    v8.5+ only for business edition do you need that much (CUCM/CUC)
    1 cpu - 2 gig ram - 300 gig hd
    v8 for cucm or cuc separately

currently i VM Business for one location/cluster and cuc/cucm for another on my AMD system.. no problems..

also, if you move a VM between systems, the VM will run just fine until changes to the db occur, after that its corrupted. tried 3x between an intel platform to a AMD platform.