Options

DTE/DCE?

rentaghostrentaghost Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
If you have 3 sites and 3 routers A,B & C connected via a serial WAN link with B in the middle (A<->B<->C) would one typically set the clock rate on B for both its serial ports?

Would it really matter if A and C both were set to DCE instead?

I know one side has to be DCE and one DTE but is there a preferred way of thinking about this particular issue?

(Maybe it doesn't really matter at all apart from the fact that B is the central site so it could aid trobleshooting if more things were set here?)

Comments

• Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    If I'm not mistaken, for real WAN links, your router isn't going to be providing clocking, that'll come from the CSU/DSU, and your router will just be a DTE device. Since in most lab scenarios, you don't have a few T1's to hook your routers up to, you have to use the DCE/DTE cables and one of the devices has to provide the clocking.

But in answer to your question, clocking is done on a per link basis, not globally. You could set your lab up with the spoke routers doing the clocking if you wanted. Honestly, I don't pay attention to which end of the cable is which anymore in my lab, I just hook the things up, and set the clock rate on both routers hehe
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=