Interesting Question

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I have a nightly task to move emails from one mailbox to another mailbox within the same Outlook 2007 client. Basically, a client of our is doing mail archiving and something got screwed up. So instead of automatically archiving, about 500000 emails didn't. Currently, I log into the server, open Outlook 2007, highlight a message and press page up 88 times (max number of messages we can move is reached at 89 page ups, don't ask how long it took to find the number)and move them to the archiving inbox. They are then digested into the appliance. Due to the number of emails we couldn't export to PST and import that way. So I wondered if it would be possible to create a macro, where I highlight an email, execute the macro, and it performs 88 page ups? Any ideas would be awesome and thanks as always!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I should add that I hold the shift key while pressing page up 88 times ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This could be fairly easy to automate using AutoIT. The full download comes with a "screen recorder" that will record what you do and turn it into a chunk of code that can be executed over and over. Once you do this, you can compile the code into a standalone program and have Windows run it as a scheduled task whenever you want. This is the easiest way I can think of.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can't you do that on Exchange itself ?
    What version is it running ?

CTRL-SHIFT-V opens up the "move to" window .. so that is one shortcut - but page upping 88 times is one thing :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Any rule that would automatically move messages from one mailbox to another would be a client-side rule that requires Outlook to be open on the workstation where the rule was created. I don't know if setting the rule back up would chew through that amount of a backlog, but it's worth a shot.

Long term it's time to look at an actual archive solution instead of this Rube Goldberg implementation. Exchange 2003, 2007, and 2010 all have message journaling that can copy all mail sent to a mailbox or database (dependin on Exchange version and licensing) and copy it to a journaling mailbox for archive or legal discovery. Exchange 2010 has a mailbox archive feature that can keep mail, plus journaling and retention tags for better archive management.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the replies guys! What had happened with the device (Barracuda Mail Archiver) was it wasn't setup properly. To add insult to injury, it wasn't on a list to be checked nightly to make sure it was working. So when we needed mail from it, we found out that the device wasn't working. Ultimately one of our exchange engineers were able to pull all the emails not archived and place them in a mailbox. We corrected the issue and new emails have been archiving automatically now for the past 6 months. At this point I am moving about 8 months worth of mail that didn't get archived at the time the device wasn't functioning properly. Again I thank everyone for the ideas!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff