Configuring a DHCP server a router

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hi there,

I've been reading up on configuring a DHCP server on a router using the CLI. It looks to me like the dhcp pool is global. What happens if you have several Ethernet interfaces on the router? One might want DHCP enabled on one of them only, or possibly a separate address pool per Ethernet interface.

Cheers,

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use extended acls to prevent dhcp coming in and out of an interface.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    wave wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've been reading up on configuring a DHCP server on a router using the CLI. It looks to me like the dhcp pool is global. What happens if you have several Ethernet interfaces on the router? One might want DHCP enabled on one of them only, or possibly a separate address pool per Ethernet interface.

Cheers,

Each Ethernet interface will be on it's own subnet and the pools will not conflict.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Each Ethernet interface will be on it's own subnet and the pools will not conflict.

Exactly. The router will not let you configure an interface with an address that is on the same subnet as another interface. It will pop up an error message and not take the address.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Exactly. The router will not let you configure an interface with an address that is on the same subnet as another interface. It will pop up an error message and not take the address.

Or if you have several subinterfaces on a single physical port, ports assigned to whatever vlan the subnet is designated to will accept the the offer/acknowledgement.

This is how I have all my offices setup, 5 vlans, 5 subnets, 5 dhcp scopes, 1 physical interface on the router.
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Thank you everyone.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP