Options

A dilemma

CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello. For the past 3.5 months, I've been searching for an entry level IT job, using pretty much any job and company website I can find. I've counted how many jobs I've applied to since that time, and it has been 162 jobs. I've only had 2 physical interviews (both recruiters) and about 4 or 5 phone interviews to show for it. One problem that I have is that since I don't have a car, I use public transportation, which means I'm restricted only to the cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul) and close suburbs. While I did have a tech support position, it was for 9 months for my mom's company (un-paid), before it went under about a year ago. I've been working my current job for about 3 years now, so I haven't been unemployed for a while, but it is nothing related to IT, and the pay is really low (and it's only part time).

My dilemma is that while I want to find an IT job, because we are in serious need of money (replace the roof, other house repairs, and a few other needs), and because of my lack of success in finding an entry level IT job, I'm thinking about just applying to full time non-IT related positions. I understand that if you are out of IT for more than 6 months, then you are considered useless, which is the case with myself. I still want to do IT, but I would rather my mom not work even harder to try to pay for the house repairs, and other needs.

I'm thinking about applying for 2 more months (for an IT job), and if I can't find anything, then I'll try to find something non-IT related, work there for a while to pay for the house repairs, and save for a car for myself and for WGU, then if the time is right, go back to applying for IT jobs.

I studied for the Microsoft 70-680 exam and failed, but I think I can pass that exam; I have to postpone that, though, since I have to save money for the house repairs (which hurts me as far as applying goes, because companies want at least a Microsoft certification).

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I feel you man, times can be tough. Here's what I'd do:

1. Keep applying. Is moving to another state/city an option at all?
    2. Perhaps you can try your hand at the 70-290 exam, will get you a Microsoft cert that the HR goons know of. If you have some server experience (even in your home lab) you can do this exam, and it's way easier than the 680.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you my story in a few lines. I had an ISP helpdesk job and worked the graveyard shift on it (midnight-9am). I did it somehow for 2 months, but the hours were crazy. I didnt have a car and the train journey would take about 1.5 hours each way. I'd doze off on my way back and the train would continue it's journey back to the city and it happened multiple times. One time I got a fine for not having a ticket, thing was the ticket I had expired at 10am, but I dozed off and the ticket inspector confronted me at 11am, of course the ticket had expired. Bam, there went $176. Well after 2 months I started applying for other roles. I'd finish work at 9am, get home about 10.30am, shave/shower/eat and head out for interviews in the afternoon. Some days I'd go without sleep. Tough times, I weathered it somehow. You can too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I know this sucks to hear but take a non-it job to cover the bills. Find an IT related internship at a school or something and use that to build experience. I know it sucks but sometimes you have to do something you don't like to get to something you like. Plus a hiring manager is not going to fault you for taking care of your family while trying to find a job. That shows responsibility. Look around on this site and pm some of the people that live near you. They may be able to help you out.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    1. Keep applying. Is moving to another state/city an option at all?

Moving is not an option at this current time. I still have to help out my mom (and I don't think I'll have a place to stay if I move anywhere else, especially with not much money).
    Perhaps you can try your hand at the 70-290 exam, will get you a Microsoft cert that the HR goons know of. If you have some server experience (even in your home lab) you can do this exam, and it's way easier than the 680.

I don't have any server experience, although I have been reading up on it for a bit (just general information). I would still rather tackle the 70-680, as I understand that Server 2003 is being phased out.

I can understand your feelings about public transportation. It takes me about 60-90 minutes to get to my current job, whereas if I had a car, it would take me 30 minutes (maybe less). I also fear about going to sleep on public transportation (it has happened a few times) for fear of getting jacked.
    I know this sucks to hear but take a non-it job to cover the bills. Find an IT related internship at a school or something and use that to build experience. I know it sucks but sometimes you have to do something you don't like to get to something you like. Plus a hiring manager is not going to fault you for taking care of your family while trying to find a job. That shows responsibility. Look around on this site and pm some of the people that live near you. They may be able to help you out.

I'm currently not in school, and I'd rather not taking an unpaid internship (I know that will help me, but I really need the money right now). I think I'll give it maybe one more month (2 at most).
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm having the worst time finding work in Minneapolis/St. Paul myself. My friend finally packed up and left for NC to find work. Work in these parts has dried up, not what you want to hear but it's what I'm finding out myself. Look on Cragislist in WA or NC then compare it to the job on the MN one. MN is bare compared to them.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm currently not in school, and I'd rather not taking an unpaid internship (I know that will help me, but I really need the money right now). I think I'll give it maybe one more month (2 at most).

That is why I said take a non "IT" position as well as doing the internship in the evening/weekend. By waiting two months you are still two months without a job and two months further behind on bills. Time to stop the bleeding and go into survival mode.

up to $.04 now. =)
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    themagicone: I read that while the Twin Cities are one of the best places for jobs, it is one of the worst places as far as entry level jobs goes. It seems this place is built for people that are well into their careers. Texas seems to be a nice place (as well as cheap). There just doesn't seem to be anything here (in the Twin Cities), though.

azjag: You're right. It really is a shame, though. I've been working jobs that would get me no where as far as the future goes, then I get my certs and think I can get an IT job, but have no success, so now I have to go back to dead end jobs...
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Texas is the bomb if you can stand the heat. I've lived here my whole life, and don't ever want to live anywhere else (for an extended period, anyway). The DFW/Austin/Houston job markets are booming for IT people, in part because Texas is a very business-friendly state.

Going into survival mode is not the worst thing that could happen. There is no shame in delivering pizzas or waiting tables in order to support yourself. That's what I did for 3 years after getting my Bachelor's degree from a state school (keep in mind I was not looking for IT jobs at that time; different field, long story). I kept studying, got a few certs, and finally caught a break. All you can do is just keep working, studying, and trying to better yourself. Don't let the current state of things dog you and get you down. It sounds trite, but you've got to rise above and push.