Options

HELP! - Follow up after follow up of interview

Story: Interview was on 7/26. The director who I interviewed with told me it will take 2 weeks to make the decision. I called last Thursday to find out the status of his decision on his cell phone (that's what he had called me on originally for the interview). He seemed to be positive when I called him. I asked him if I'm still a candidate for the position and he said yes. So I didn't get a yea or nay. He told me he would let me know of the decision last Friday or yesterday.

As of right now, I still haven't heard anything. My emotions have changed from anxiousness of getting the job to just wanting to know what the decision is so I can move on.

I'm wanting to call tomorrow to find out what the decision is, but when do I call - morning, lunchtime, afternoon, or after work (5pm)? How should I ask about the decision?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It wouldnt hurt to give him another call today given it's been a few days. I'd do it sooner rather than later in the day just so you can know either way. Just say "I was eager to know if you've arrived at a decision yet about the job advert you put on <insert site name here>" Just relax, take a few deep breaths and ask. Go with the flow, after you ask your first question, wait for the guy to reply and ask any other questions accordingly.

I really hope you get the job but I fear it's slipped out of your hands. I hope you are not dwelling too much on this one job, just keep flooding the resume out. Good luck bro!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
    Essendon wrote: »
    It wouldnt hurt to give him another call today given it's been a few days. I'd do it sooner rather than later in the day just so you can know either way. Just say "I was eager to know if you've arrived at a decision yet about the job advert you put on <insert site name here>" Just relax, take a few deep breaths and ask. Go with the flow, after you ask your first question, wait for the guy to reply and ask any other questions accordingly.

I really hope you get the job but I fear it's slipped out of your hands. I hope you are not dwelling too much on this one job, just keep flooding the resume out. Good luck bro!

Thanks Essendon for replying.

It's only been a couple days since the director and I last talked, but 2 weeks from the interview is today. I didn't think he would take the max time to make a decision, but I fear he might have already and he didn't have the heart to call and let me know.

I'll give him a call around 10am so it's still morning and not during lunch time (it's either going to be a good day or a kick in the gut for the rest of the day). I don't know, but I have a feeling I should just be patient because I'm thinking there might be a call today.....but I think that's the optimism in me.

I thought from the interview and the phone call I made that I'd still have a chance for this position. It's close to my house, time for work is good so I can pick my daughter up from daycare, and it's a job where there isn't much phone support but lot of face-to-face interaction, which I work best at. The only thing that hasn't been talked about is pay....which I hope they offer the same or more. Plus, it's at a hospital and I get my foot in the door to healthcare.

But if I don't get it, at least it releases a lot of anxiety in me to move on. But what sucks is for the criteria I have for the job I'm looking for, it's been scarce. I've been getting emails/calls every other day for job opportunities, but nothing that I would leave my current job for (staying for my family and $)....even though it sucks walking in everyday wanting to hang myself... :)
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    If it's only been a couple days, I would wait a few more days. However, there's no harm in calling him. If he thinks you're a potential candidate, he's not going to cross you off the list just because you called him. However, if they already went with someone else, you might as well find out now rather than wait for a callback.
  • Options
    LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Could you send an email? That way you're not interrupting or coming off desparate.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I think an email would be a good follow up, at this point, yes?

Either way, keep us posted on what happens and good luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Well, the wait was killing me inside! So I broke down and called this afternoon. He told me they had someone on their staff out today and there's been a lot going on this week. I told him I thought I had missed a call from him on Friday or Monday (an excuse to throw out for the call). I also apologized for bugging him about the decision. He said it was alright and told me they will come to a final decision this afternoon. The call was made 3 1/2 hours ago.....still haven't heard anything yet.

Since I made the call, I'm just going to play the waiting game a little longer since he still considers me a candidate for the position. It's just odd for a decision like this to last this long....

At least I didn't get "I'm sorry, we have filled the position" or "I'm sorry, we have gone with someone else for the position". :)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! I hope you get it :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Good luck! I hope you get it as well. Definitely wait until they contact you now, and if you don't hear back by Friday, I would hit them up then (IMHO).
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

When I got home yesterday, I started to feel the notion that I didn't get the position and that I had to convince myself to move on. Hopefully a better position will come along and save me from drowning in this current job.

I want to call on Friday, but I'll feel like screaming at the guy for stringing me along all this time for no reason.

We'll see if I can muster up one more call in me for Friday to see if I got it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just move on at this point. If they chose you great, but I'd stop worrying myself over it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'd just move on at this point. If they chose you great, but I'd stop worrying myself over it.

This should be your golden rule for any position you apply to. Keep momentum going.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    This should be your golden rule for any position you apply to. Keep momentum going.

Well, I guess I'm worrying over this position because it fits most of the criteria I'm looking for in a job:

- close to the house
    - option to work an earlier shift
    - healthcare field (positive point)
    - still waiting on $, but I'm guessing it will be right around what I currently make

I felt I did well in the interview and I even got to hang out with the staff for an hour, asking them questions and getting to know them.

I walked out of there thinking I got the job. He told me it would be a 2 week decision....I've waited patiently for 2 weeks and now it's past 2 weeks with still no decision. icon_sad.gif

With a job that I go to everyday that sucks, I guess I threw all my chips into this job thinking I can leave my current **** scott-free. Instead, it's just been an investment of emotion into this position. But I'm starting to come to a realization that I didn't get it and I have to move on.

Sucks the director didn't have the balls to tell me I didn't get it.
  • Options
    Yep definitely important to keep that momentum going! Don't dwell on this too long or look at it like a failure! Just keep applying and interviewing! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    While I think you should move on, keep in mind hiring people is not the primary purpose for a company. I wouldn't doubt they are busy and are simply having a tough time choosing the candidate.

At this point I would leave them alone until at least Monday.
  • Options
    I decided to call the HR rep this morning who did the 1st phone screening 3 weeks ago. He told me that according to him, the position is still open. I told him I felt like I'm bothering him when calling to follow up. He said he will inquire on my behalf to find out the status. He said he won't let the director know that I'm asking what the final decision is.

Hopefully that will speed things up to end this drama.

UPDATE: Got a call back from HR saying that the position was filled. icon_sad.gif

He told me that they "recently interviewed someone" that was more qualified than I was and they went with that candidate.

Sucks that they just stringed me along while they wanted to see if someone can compete with my skills for the position and then screwed me over in the end. The director didn't have the balls to tell me by phone that I didn't get it....

Not sure if I should take positive news from this but HR rep said in the end of the convo that he and the director were impressed with my skills/approach that they will forward my information to a couple other managers to see if I fit on their team. The problem that comes up - location and $.

I'm not really bummed because of the no-callbacks kind of interpreted the writing on the wall. But damnit, I really wanted that position just because of the location, flexibility and the foot in the door to healthcare...... icon_mad.gif