Options

Subnetting on Network+

petemn79petemn79 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
How detailed of subnetting questions should I be prepared for?

Do they expect you to know how to subnet a Class B and C address, how many hosts and networks are available for each subnet?

Or are they more likely to ask - Given an address in dash or decimal notation, determine the subnet mask?

I am curious to how detailed the questions are and what I should study for.

Any one have suggestions for study materials on subnetting?

Comments

• Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't personally get many or any complicated subnetting questions if any at all. My subnetting is weak at best and I passed with a solid score. Your test may differ but that was my experience. Good luck on your test.
  • Options
    ABNNBCABNNBC Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven’t take the test yet, but I had the same question a few days ago. At first I found subnetting rather confusing considering there is about 20 different ways to do it, it was frustrating also. My approach was to go over the various methods until I found one that “clicked” and I understood why and how to do it. It took me about a day to actually get proficient at it, but after it “clicked” everything kind of fell into place. I would recommend finding a method that works for you and using practice questions until it you can almost do them in your head. The main site I used was:

http://www.subnettingquestions.com/

Now I’m confident that no matter what form of subnetting question they throw at me I will be able to answer it.
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    You're expected to know how to subnet. Obviously no one can say whether or not you'll get a question, I'm pretty sure I did when I sat for the exam (probably more than one).

That being said, I'll be taking my CCENT exam in the next couple weeks and I'm expected to be able to understand a subnet address and mask in 10 seconds or less. I practiced this a lot while studying for my Network+ exam, which has made it much, much easier to accomplish this kind of requirement. You're expected to look at a diagram of 4-5 different subnets and be able to determine what the broadcast, network and all possible addresses can be. Usually 10 seconds or so for each one, because you're on that much of a time crunch.

If you plan on moving forward in networking, regardless of Cisco or Microsoft, it would be beneficial to know it well, the more the better.

Once it clicks (and it will eventually, trust me), you'll be able to do it very, very quickly.
  • Options
    skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took Network+ last year. I studied with Testout. They said on Testout the Network+ only uses all 255's or all 0's in each octet. It's really simple subnetting and friends of mine have told me that's all they see in the real world anyway except for the /30 for a point to point link.
    petemn79 wrote: »
    How detailed of subnetting questions should I be prepared for?

Do they expect you to know how to subnet a Class B and C address, how many hosts and networks are available for each subnet?

Or are they more likely to ask - Given an address in dash or decimal notation, determine the subnet mask?

I am curious to how detailed the questions are and what I should study for.

Any one have suggestions for study materials on subnetting?
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Havent taken the N+ - study the subnetting.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think as long as you have a method memorized that lets you work out a subnetting problem on paper, you will be set for the Network+.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    skwira001 wrote: »
    It's really simple subnetting and friends of mine have told me that's all they see in the real world anyway except for the /30 for a point to point link.

I have worked in environments that do use subnetting - mostly /20 but some others. These were very large enterprises, but subnetting is used in some organizations. For medium and small sized organizations, I'd agree with your friends. Smaller organizations ussually stick with /24 or /16 networks to keep it simple.

Darril Gibson
    blog
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Once you know the host portion and network portion of an <ip address>/<prefix mask>, you will be able to know the network address and the broad cast address. These are the first and the last available IP addresses in that network (or subnet). Check out the Cram sheet here CCNA practice .