Options

Abroad Experience on a Resume

XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
How would you put on non-relevant experience abroad on a resume? Basicly, I graduated with a degree in Asian Studies. I studied in Japan for one year (Student Exchange Program) and taught English in Korea for one year. I don't speak Korean (beyond survival), but I can speak and read Japanese.

Outside of A+, building a few computers, listening to TWiT podcasts, and being the guy that people ask to fix their computer, I don't have any "verifiable experience". Since I don't have anything solid, would it be better to play on my experience abroad? I'm returning to my hometown in Cleveland in two weeks, so it's about time that I start applying for jobs. I know I can explain my situation better in a cover letter, but I'm not sure about the resume. Would appreciate some tips to make me stand out.

Comments

• Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I am overseas as well and see it as a big plus to be fluent in another language. I suppose it depends on how useful the language is going to be to the company you're applying for but it still adds bonus points in my book. I think being abroad for a couple years also adds points to character in my opinion. It shows your not afraid to be out of your comfort zone. Keep studying for certs and try to get your feet wet with a help desk job perhaps for an international company. My 2 cents. :)
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    djfunz is right. He told you the same things that I would have told you.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, a job with a Japanese company that would send me over to Japan in the future on the "Expat Package" would be a dream. :D But for now, I need to develop my skills in the states.