Kindle?

whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
Hello All,

Been contemplating picking up a Kindle for quite some time now.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Kindle?

Couple points I wanted to make:
    High contrast screen so easier on the eyes?
    Book prices on Amazon, especially Cert books, are WAY cheaper
    Very portable, compared to a 400 page cert book!

Anyone have one? Anyone have a New version for sale?

Thoughts? Comments? Go with a Nook or Sony eReader instead?

Please don't mention the Ipad 2, as I am waiting for the Ipad 3 to come out! icon_thumright.gif
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the nook touch (non-color) can be rooted and made to run kindle and nook books as well as read pdfs, you may want to take that into consideration
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Please don't mention the Ipad 2, as I am waiting for the Ipad 3 to come out! icon_thumright.gif

You might want to cross out iPad 3 off your list since I don't think it will be easy on your eyes too. icon_lol.gif
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    You might want to cross out iPad 3 off your list since I don't think it will be easy on your eyes too. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for info, but was going to use Ipad 3 for things other than an eReader. But good point! ;)
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    the nook touch (non-color) can be rooted and made to run kindle and nook books as well as read pdfs, you may want to take that into consideration

Thanks for info! May consider this, but get a bit worried about a company that is primarily brick and mortar going down!
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    when ya root it you can run any ebook format on it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for info! May consider this, but get a bit worried about a company that is primarily brick and mortar going down!

I always wonder about the thought process of those that think up product names. I associate Nook with a replacement for book nook. However Kindle brings to mind a product that will turn brick and mortar book stores into kindling. icon_smile.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got one for my birthday last week actually. For book-books and e-books I have few complaints. I bought an exam cram book for it ($10) to give it the test. There's been 2 pages (out of about 90+/- so far) that I had to reduce the "font size" of because the sentences were running off the side. It seems that these two pages were really images, not blocks of text.

My only issue is in trying to read pdf's on it: I have not found a good way to do this. The font is either WAY too small, or the text runs off the side. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to convert/view tech pdf's on it without murdering the pictures and diagrams.

That being said, if you plan to use it for pdf copies of books you have, I would recommend against it. If you're OK with procuring books that were made for the Kindle, I don't think you'd be disappointed.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Love my Kindle and they have an app for everything (PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad/iTouch, Android, WebOS) so you can read anywhere when you don't bring your Kindle. Plus when you use the app, the books show up in color if they use it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a 1st edition nook (just got a replacement for my launch day one actually). I read all of my novels on it. I find Barnes and Noble fair on pricing for ebooks and I like their More in Store discounts and one hour free reading. I almost want one of the new ones because they're lighter and don't have the lcd screen.

PDFs and tech books are hard if not impossible to read. The Kindle DX and iPad are better for those. I would say if you have to have one to handle all your reading right now go for a DX and later buy a kindle with special offers for novels. If you want to wait for the latest and greatest I would still suggest a nook or kindle for leasure reading now and then an iPad for tech books. It's not as easy on the eyes but still works.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
    Thanks all for the great advice!

I am most likely going to pickup a Kindle 3G special offers edition from Target, so I can try it out for 90 days (their return policy).
    May keep it, if I like it, and then eventually get an Ipad 3.

So hopefully I can stick with the Kindle 3 for current reading, cert book reading (though I understand some diagrams may suck), and eventually use the Ipad 3 for color and larger tech diagrams as well as PDF reading.
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As others have posted on here in the past, if you want to use the Kindle for studying, reading PDFs, etc the normal Kindle does not cut it. The Kindle DX with the bigger screen handles PDFs beautifully. Yes, it is more money, but I haven't heard anyone complain about PDFs on it like you do with the smaller size Kindle, Nook, Sony E-Reader, etc.
  • XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use my iPad with the Kindle software. Works pretty well. My girlfriend has a Kindle 3, and I think it it's much easier on the eyes. I think the iPad is great for ebooks, comics, manga, and pdfs. The Kindle is better if you just want text books. I tried pdfs on my girlfriend's Kindle with mix results. Sometimes good, sometimes comes out strange. For Kindle books, Kindle is best. If you're doing more then just Kindle books, the iPad is very flexible.
    XiaoTech wrote: »
    I use my iPad with the Kindle software. Works pretty well. My girlfriend has a Kindle 3, and I think it it's much easier on the eyes. I think the iPad is great for ebooks, comics, manga, and pdfs. The Kindle is better if you just want text books. I tried pdfs on my girlfriend's Kindle with mix results. Sometimes good, sometimes comes out strange. For Kindle books, Kindle is best. If you're doing more then just Kindle books, the iPad is very flexible.

Thanks for the info XiaoTech.

I decided to go for both --- Kindle 3 first, then Ipad 3 in 7 months or less!

Cheers and have a good weekend all!
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    take the kindle and 6 inch e-ink reading devices for what they are - erm devices to read plain text from. imo there rubbish when it comes to studying, unless its simply plain text, as the 6 inch size is too small which causes issues as well as troubles with table formatting and pics. if your going e-reader then the kindle DX sounds better as its much bigger and can display pdfs in full, although im yet to try/see one.

Buying a kindle to replace paper based novels is awesome though and i love the kindle for just that. You do loose the feel/smell of a book but there still a great product.

ive always been put off lcd screens because of eye strain, hence ruling out the ipad or ipad -esk products for me.

p.s. books arent always cheaper if there on the kindle either. ive seen a few examples when this was not the case.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Been using my iPad for about 5 months now and there's no way I'd give it up. I can watch training videos on it, the WMV's from Trainsignal second dvd's load up just fine, and I can read the electronic PDF's of all my books on it as well. Works really well. I don't think there's a time when I don't have it with me. Having a 45 minute commute in the morning on the train makes it easy to read or watch a video.