Options

Notice period when leaving job

kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
The contract I signed says both me and my employer must give each other 3 months notice if either of us wants to end the employment contract.

I think its going to be very very difficult to find another job if I tell companies I have to give 3 months.

I know its on a contract but could I just give 2 weeks anyway? I live in the UK so the laws may be different..
2011 Goals: 70-433 | 70-432

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As you mentioned it's all relative to local laws as well as the specific verbiage in the contract. I've read of some companies having similar clauses but rarely enforcing them so repercussions could be minimal, if any. I can't find it right now but do a quick search as a similar scenario came up several weeks ago.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What does the contract say to ending employment without the three months. If it doesnt say anything about it, go with the local laws IMO.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im trying to decipher it, its illegible I wish they could just write a contract in clear basic English.
    2011 Goals: 70-433 | 70-432
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I don't know the laws in the UK, but I thought most employment nowadays is "at-will"?
    Basically, the employer can terminate you at any point, and the employee may leave at any point. The 2 weeks notice (or whatever it may be in the UK) was merely being courteous?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD