port-security and mac addresses

luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
so i'm studying for the icnd2 exam and i'm going over port-security. it seems as though when a mac is learned and added/accepted by port-security (say i'm allowing one mac) the switch doesn't record that mac as a dynamic mac. rather, it shows it as static. this is a little confusing. does anyone know why?

thanks in advance!icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    luisYme wrote: »
    so i'm studying for the icnd2 exam and i'm going over port-security. it seems as though when a mac is learned and added/accepted by port-security (say i'm allowing one mac) the switch doesn't record that mac as a dynamic mac. rather, it shows it as static. this is a little confusing. does anyone know why?

thanks in advance!icon_cheers.gif
    IIRC;I believe a static address stays in the switching table even after a reboot whereas a dynamic-learned address table is NOT saved to the startup config.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    From what I can remember about sticky, is that it associates the MAC address currently connected to the port, and puts it into the running config. That's why it appears as static....I think.