Options

Preemptive Resume

2 questions:

1) Have any of you ever been contacted (or hired) by an employer because of something you had on your resume that was preemptive - such as a targeted certification you were working on or degree you were to get following school you were attending? Were you told this by them during an interview? How preemptive could you get, assuming it is common to do (for example: your long term goal like putting 'MCITP EA - Anticipated 2013' on your resume when you're only at the 1st exam level)?

2) Is this practice effective, standard or even ethical, considering today's searchable resume format? (Companies tend to screen resumes by keyword nowadays rather than actually looking through them)

[I read somewhere recently that someone got a job because they told the employer they would have a certification within a month, which I thought was interesting. I'm just not sure how common it is for this to happen.]

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm on the fence with this issue, but I wouldnt put a cert in progress on my resume if I wasn't 75% there. Say if was doing the CCNP, I probably wouldnt list CCNP - in progress, unless I had completed 2 out of the 3 exams. When I was doing my CCNA (about 4 years ago), I put in CCNA - in progress (one exam remaining). Back then I had no other cert and merely put in the word CCNA in the resume got me an interview with the world's biggest company, Mobil. Believe it or not, I got the job too - was only a short 4 month contract though. But good experience and stood me in good stead for roles I applied for after I finished the contract.

So I wouldnt put in CCIE - Anticipated completion 2020 or something. I might put in CCIE R&S - Written completed, LAB preparation in progress. Just shows you have progressed towards completing the cert and not just dreaming about it. With HR getting hundreds of resumes for a single position, it only makes sense to put in your progress towards a cert. Just dont mention any dates, keep that for the interview.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've seen a lot of people saying to leave it out if it is not finished. I was looking for a job 4 months ago and saw a few positions requiring basic Cisco skills. Based on this I decided to put "CCENT in progress - target date June 2011". I did this mostly because I was able to explain or demonstrate knowledge on most topics covered in CCENT. Using "CCNA"never crossed my mind as I was nowhere near that. As expected they asked about my Cisco skills during the interview and I was able to answer what they asked.

As Essendon said, if you are 75% ready, why not.
  • Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    That's what I figured. Were these resumes you actually sent (ex: Word doc) or a profile-resume on a job site that was searched? Just curious.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I sent mine when they posted it on the job board. I dont leave mine sitting there anymore, if I want a job I'll post it. I dont want recruiters to call me about call centre jobs anymore I guess!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently applied for a job that required a bachelors degree (as well as some other requirements). I don't have one, but I am enrolled in a BS degree program. I listed the degree on my resume, along with my anticipated graduation date.
    During the interview, I was up front about the status and progress of my education.

They ended up offering the job to me (and I accepted!!)

I already have an AAS degree, and have taken several 300 and 400 level classes, so I don't think it was unethical to use my anticipated degree on my resume.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think some people get a little carried away, having so many things "planned" you wonder "ok what is first, because I can put down things planned for the next five years..."

I put down WGU because I am actually attending. I have seen some where they are "working on a degree" but have not attended a class in years.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    If you ain't got it, don't jot it. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you ain't got it, don't jot it. icon_cool.gif

Very clever and true. Although, I still do what most of the posters above did. As long as I feel completely honest about it, I would put it on my resume. I stated my CCNA progress in the objective (I know no one uses this anymore).
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I can see how it would help with keywoard searches. I've never listed anything in progress on my resume, but usually mention it in cover letters.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    Let's say you do get the call and they want you to work for them. How would doing that (having something you're working on on your resume) impact your salary? Would a company low-ball you since you don't actually have it yet? Would it be unethical to ask for a salary adjustment upon completion in writing? At all? Since at least 2 of you in this thread have had success with this tactic, do you think it had a negative (or any) impact on the starting salary you got or your negotiating power?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When I was working on my CCNP I put in progress on my resume and at an interview they mentioned it as a good thing to see that I was continuing my technical education. I wouldn't put a whole list of certs as in progress, but if you are working on one in particular with multiple exams and you have passed some I don't think its a problem. Will help you more than hurt IMO.

On the salary front, I'm not sure if it would really affect it. I wouldn't ask for any raise upon completion in writing personally though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let's say you do get the call and they want you to work for them. How would doing that (having something you're working on on your resume) impact your salary? Would a company low-ball you since you don't actually have it yet? Would it be unethical to ask for a salary adjustment upon completion in writing? At all? Since at least 2 of you in this thread have had success with this tactic, do you think it had a negative (or any) impact on the starting salary you got or your negotiating power?

I don't think it negatively impacted my starting salary. They asked for my salary expectation, and they met it right away, no low-ball. I suppose that could be an indicator that I may have low-balled myself, but that is for another discussion.

Although it isn't in writing, one of my future managers (I haven't started yet) made it clear to me that they expect me to finish my degree.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA