Options

problem with OSPF over NBMA

mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
The CBT Nuggets of Cicso Route exam says that

In the Video i need to configure the OSPF in Network without using OSPF network statement in hub and spoke configuration

I am using framerelay by this command

[HTML]int s0/1.1 multipoint
ip add 10.35.6.3 255.255.255.0
frame-relay map ip 10.35.6.5 305 br
frame-relay map ip 10.35.6.6 306 br

int s0/0
en fr
ip add 10.35.6.5 255.255.255.0
frame-relay map ip 10.35.6.3 503 br
frame-relay map ip 10.35.6.6 503 br

int s0/0
en fr
ip add 10.35.6.6 255.255.255.0
frame-relay map ip 10.35.6.3 603 br
frame-relay map ip 10.35.6.5 603 br[/HTML]

Then the ospf
router ospf 1
router-id 8.8.8.8
log-adjacency-changes
network 8.8.8.8 0.0.0.0 area 356
network 10.35.6.0 0.0.0.255 area 356

NOW when i type
show ip ospf int

Then i see the network type as
 Network Type NON_BROADCAST,

But in the video he sees as
Network Type POINT-TO-POINT

He has not use any network statamenet but his network type is point-to-point by default but mine is showing non -broad cast

where i am wrong

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Was he using point-to-point subints?
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    icon_scratch.gif I don't think you're wrong. NBMA is by definition non broadcast. Maybe you just jumped ahead of Jeremy in the video?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    icon_scratch.gif I don't think you're wrong. NBMA is by definition non broadcast. Maybe you just jumped ahead of Jeremy in the video?

Well, if Jeremy is using point to point subints, those default to point to point network type (which kind of makes sense)
  • Options
    gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The interface defaults to NON_BROADCAST
    you can either create sub interfaces and make them point-to-point
    or you can use the command under the interface

R1(config-if)#ip ospf network point-to-point
  • Options

The raw serial interface defaults to non broadcast

Process ID 1, Router ID 10.0.0.1, Network Type NON_BROADCAST, Cost: 64

However, a point to point sub interface does not default to NON_BROADCAST. LIke so:

R1(config)#int s0/0.1 point-to-point
    R1(config-subif)#int s0/0
    R1(config-if)#no ip address
    R1(config-if)#int s0/0.1 poi
    R1(config-subif)#ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
    R1(config-subif)#frame-relay interface-dlci 102
    R1#sh ip ospf int
    Serial0/0.1 is up, line protocol is up
    Internet Address 10.0.0.1/24, Area 0
    Process ID 1, Router ID 10.0.0.1, Network Type POINT_TO_POINT, Cost: 64

P2P subints default to P2P network types, which is why it's important for the OP to find out whether he made a mistake in what he saw in the nugget in thinking it was a multipoint interface, instead of a p2p subint.

These are the finer details of OSPF that need to be learned.
  • Options
    The raw serial interface defaults to non broadcast

Process ID 1, Router ID 10.0.0.1, Network Type NON_BROADCAST, Cost: 64

However, a point to point sub interface does not default to NON_BROADCAST. LIke so:

R1(config)#int s0/0.1 point-to-point
    R1(config-subif)#int s0/0
    R1(config-if)#no ip address
    R1(config-if)#int s0/0.1 poi
    R1(config-subif)#ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
    R1(config-subif)#frame-relay interface-dlci 102
    R1#sh ip ospf int
    Serial0/0.1 is up, line protocol is up
    Internet Address 10.0.0.1/24, Area 0
    Process ID 1, Router ID 10.0.0.1, Network Type POINT_TO_POINT, Cost: 64

P2P subints default to P2P network types, which is why it's important for the OP to find out whether he made a mistake in what he saw in the nugget in thinking it was a multipoint interface, instead of a p2p subint.

These are the finer details of OSPF that need to be learned.

lol... that's exactly what i said that the interface defaults to NON_BROADCAST. Okay aside from that. I've watch those videos many times and i think Jeremy pre-configure the network type. I remember him mentioning it during my studies for the ROUTE exam.
  • Options
    lol... that's exactly what i said that the interface defaults to NON_BROADCAST. .

The physical interface does.

subinterfaces are still full fledged interfaces as far as the router is concerned, and different types default to different values for ospf network types. You have to make the distinction, because OSPF certainly does.

It's a subtle but important difference, especially to someone who's trying to find the gap in their understanding.
  • Options
    The physical interface does.

subinterfaces are still full fledged interfaces as far as the router is concerned, and different types default to different values for ospf network types. You have to make the distinction, because OSPF certainly does.

It's a subtle but important difference, especially to someone who's trying to find the gap in their understanding.

lol okay okay... your right i should make distinctions between the interfaces. It would greatly help someone who is learning the material agreed.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I am not using subinterfaces, I mean i am using only one subinterface but that is point to mulipoint on the hub

IN the lab question states that i can use
    ip ospf network point to multipoint
    on hub but spokes should remain to default state.

IN the video when do sh ip int breief on hub , i have checked , he was not using multiple subinterface only one subinterface so it means on hub there is only one way to configure framerelay and that is point to multipoint

Now on spokes , in video , he is not using any network statement because it was the requirement of lab , so we can't say that he used it. but it was coming as point to point

The other thing is if we leave it to non broadcast then we have to manually define the neighbor.

I am including the lab as image here

ospflab.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now there are two types as per vieo

1)Point to multipoint
    2)point to multipoint , Non broad cast

Mine case is the 2nd one which comes in area 0 of given lab but how can i achieve the case 1 that is areaa 356 as per given lab
  • Options
    Well, the way that it's worded, only the ip ospf network command is off limits. it doesn't say you have to use the main interface, so you can do the configuration by putting the IP configuration on p2p subints

The trick is in knowing what interfaces default to what network mode.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GA

Can you give me what statements u will use for area 356 (just FR) , if u have to do it. I am little bit confused
  • Options
    mirror51 wrote: »
    Forsaken_GA

Can you give me what statements u will use for area 356 (just FR) , if u have to do it. I am little bit confused

Well, I'm not going to give you a detailed answer, you won't learn anything that way :)

You can mix point to point links and point to multipoint links without any harm. The general gist of it is that on the non-hub routers, you configure the main interface for frame-relay encap and bring them up. Then you create a point to point subint off the main interfaces, and then give them the IP and manually define the dlci.

That will put them as ospf network type point to point without using the ip ospf network command.

The key to it is that it's saying use the default network type, and you're not allowed to use the ip ospf network command. So you have to know what interfaces default to what ospf network types (and you have to understand that subinterfaces *are* interfaces. The word interface does not automatically equal physical interface).

This is actually a pretty difficult subject, because OSPF over frame relay has so many variables. I personally think Cisco wastes waaay too much time on it these days, as frame relay links are becoming rare indeed, but you do need to understand it to pass the exams.
  • Options
    ok thanks i got it working now , i didn't knew before that i can mix point-to-point and point-to-multipoint links.

SO it means there is only one way to get default ospf as point to point and that is only possible if interface is point to point.

Am i right
  • Options
    chamjieechamjiee Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i m also trying to recreate that topology and i am having hard time recreating it same ..
    had the video shown how the sub-interfaces on routers (not on the router configured as frame relay switch..) were configured for the frame relay..

i am confused by the type of the sub interface and the network type of ospf .. are they different ? how are they related ?
    does ospf choses its network type automatically according to the sub interface typ ?

what is the difference between

if i go to
    int s1/0
    no ip
    enca fr
    exit
    int s1/0.1 point

so is there any difference between these two ?
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    chamjiee wrote: »
    i m also trying to recreate that topology and i am having hard time recreating it same ..
    had the video shown how the sub-interfaces on routers (not on the router configured as frame relay switch..) were configured for the frame relay..

i am confused by the type of the sub interface and the network type of ospf .. are they different ? how are they related ?
    does ospf choses its network type automatically according to the sub interface typ ?

what is the difference between

if i go to
    int s1/0
    no ip
    enca fr
    exit
    int s1/0.1 point

so is there any difference between these two ?

yes; you are saying the interface s1/0 is frame relay and to treat the sub interface .1 as a P2P... so you could do S1/0.2 multipoint so S1/0.1 is P2P OSPF, S1/0.2 is NON_BROADCAST and S1/0 is NON_BROADCAST.

Think of it like this (not exactly); what Forsaken is trying to say is that the router treats the sub interfaces as if they were not sub interfaces; so it would be like saying s1/0 frame relay (default it MP); s1/1 P2P; S1/1 Frame relay MP.

Serial1/0.2 is up, line protocol is down
    Internet Address 10.100.100.1/30, Area 0
    Process ID 1, Router ID 10.10.10.10, Network Type NON_BROADCAST, Cost: 64
    Transmit Delay is 1 sec, State DOWN, Priority 1
    No designated router on this network
    No backup designated router on this network
    Timer intervals configured, Hello 30, Dead 120, Wait 120, Retransmit 5
    oob-resync timeout 120
    Serial1/0.1 is up, line protocol is down
    Internet Address 192.168.1.1/30, Area 0
    Process ID 1, Router ID 10.10.10.10, Network Type POINT_TO_POINT, Cost: 64
    Transmit Delay is 1 sec, State DOWN,
    Timer intervals configured, Hello 10, Dead 40, Wait 40, Retransmit 5
    oob-resync timeout 40
    Serial1/0 is up, line protocol is down
    Internet Address 10.1.1.1/30, Area 0
    Process ID 1, Router ID 10.10.10.10, Network Type NON_BROADCAST, Cost: 64
    Transmit Delay is 1 sec, State DOWN, Priority 1
    No designated router on this network
    No backup designated router on this network
    Timer intervals configured, Hello 30, Dead 120, Wait 120, Retransmit 5
    oob-resync timeout 120

All this and the broadcast command is added to the frame relay statements =D lol.